Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just installed C3 and I seem to not be able to max out the game entirely without minor lag,
frown.gif
like I a, running 3 way sli 680 classes with a oc i5 3570k to 4.7 ghz and still have to turn down AA
frown.gif
I have 8Gb dominator platinum a too I don't understand where I'm getting that lag from I don't see a bottle neck unless its because of my hdd which is a Seagate barra 3 Tb

Should C3 be running off a SSD? Or am I getting the issue somewhere else ??

PlEase help me guys I'm nit so good with pc fault finding

Thanks you everyone
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for quick reply , u reckon its VRAM ? But even 4 gb should be enough right ? I will try the 4xaa but I noticed a multiple gpu AA option too which still has lag to it
frown.gif
I dunno maybe I just not doing something right , it's weird cos the training sim or " tutorial" level plays soooooo smooth like butter lol
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
I didn't realize you had the 4GB variants. Yes i'm blind. That should be plenty, so I don't know what else it could be other than the game, or drivers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha its cool,

ye its really puzzling to me too, drivers are all up to date, you might be right about the game lol because i have not update it lol for obvious reasons lol
thank you for your time dude
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
It's your cpu, even a mainstream quad core i7 will choke in quite a few areas. I still get frame rate dips below 60 in one or two areas on my current setup. Run gpu-z or afterburner/precision-x and watch your gpu usage in the areas you are getting frame rate dips, I can almost guarantee you you will see your usage dip quite a bit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
I believe what you are experiencing is low card bandwidth. let me try explain a few things, and i do truely believe its the cause of your lack of performance.

1x GTX 680 would run at PCI-E 3.0 x16 bit bandwidth.
2x GTX 680s would run at PCI-E 2.0 x8, x8 bit bandwidth
and
3x GTX 680s would run at PCI-E 2.0 x8, x8, x4 bit (sometimes x8 x4 x4) bandwidth

Having plenty of graphics to give your CPU to process does stress your CPU more than usual. specially having an i5 (no hyperthreading, btw C3 does use HT) will kinda lower down your overall performance.

my rule of thumb is... if you are going to have more than two graphics card (x8 x8) i would recommend having an X79 socket motherboard that would run x16 x16 x8 instead of x8 x8 x4

I hope this helps and make sense good luck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post

I believe what you are experiencing is low card bandwidth. let me try explain a few things, and i do truely believe its the cause of your lack of performance.

1x GTX 680 would run at PCI-E 3.0 x16 bit bandwidth.
2x GTX 680s would run at PCI-E 2.0 x8, x8 bit bandwidth
and
3x GTX 680s would run at PCI-E 2.0 x8, x8, x4 bit (sometimes x8 x4 x4) bandwidth

Having plenty of graphics to give your CPU to process does stress your CPU more than usual. specially having an i5 (no hyperthreading, btw C3 does use HT) will kinda lower down your overall performance.

my rule of thumb is... if you are going to have more than two graphics card (x8 x8) i would recommend having an X79 socket motherboard that would run x16 x16 x8 instead of x8 x8 x4

I hope this helps and make sense good luck.
Wouldn't two cards run x16 x16 and three x16 x8 x8? That's how my ancient board works. Is that a Intel Z77 limitation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Gigabyte G1 Sniper 3 has a PLX bridge chip which multiplexes the PCIe lanes from the CPU
His 680s are running x16, x8, x8 PCIe 3.0 unless he's got them in the wrong slots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slightly skewed View Post

Wouldn't two cards run x16 x16 and three x16 x8 x8? That's how my ancient board works. Is that a Intel Z77 limitation?
you are right when it comes to your specific system which is X58.

two cards can run at x16 x16. but in the OP's situation where he has a Z77 board it runs two cards at x8 x8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hey guys thank you kindly for the advice and explanations
smile.gif


ok so i dont think i have the cards placed in the wrong lanes, in the manual is says "for two way" place them both into x16 but since im running three way the book doesnt seem the explain what speed the middle slot is or will be once i add three gpus to the board
frown.gif


how ever i did noticed a little note saying that if im installing more than 2 gpus to utilize a certain power connector next to one of the pcie lanes ??? :S , is that so if dont have enough power connector from my psu to use that extra connector? for a certain card that might need a lil more juice and it being there if needed?

also is there maybe a setting that gigabyte have in their bios which would allow me to allocate pcie lane speeds?

my cpu is i5 however i dunno if this helps or not but i have overclocked the chip to 4.8Ghz but i mean if HT is the issue then its something i cant really help or resolve unfortunately, but then again ppl tell me why the hell am i thinking of bumping up to a i7 for gaming and i am left speechless but now i can say well some games utilize HT (which i didnt know lol) but ye

again guys im so sorry if i do come across a bit clueless its my first build i guess lol so im learning as im going i guess
smile.gif


thanks

cursed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey dude yes currently ye but i know it sounds ridiculous lol but im getting another two monitors for my b day in a few weeks
smile.gif

its why i grabbed the third classy now as they r becoming more scarce here in Australia lol the 700 series cards i totally flooding our markets here lol
and the place i get my gear from had 2 classys left so i grabbed it now rather than deal with having to source one later or worse lol source a second hand one lol

*** sorry probably should mention that somewhere my bad **
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
I'm telling you it's your CPU. Crysis 3 eats quad cores for breakfast even with hyperthreading with massive over clocks. Again just run any gpu monitoring program and watch your GPU usage. I can tell you right now it's going to dipping bad at every single point your fps is tanking. My 2500k at 4.8 would get destroyed by this game.

Also you said you don't have the extra power plug plugged in on the board? Usually it's a molex by the PCI slots. I don't think that is the cause though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i didnt realize C3 was so cpu intensive though :S that kinda sucks lol, i dunno if its worth me up'ing to a 3770k or just waiting for enough cash to grab a 1150 mobo with a 4xxxk chip :S

not sure atm what to do but i guess i was looking for maybe a simple answer lol unfortunately i cant get one in this case lol

the new g1 sniper 5 looks pretty mean as well
frown.gif


damn if only i was a billionaire lol

anyway thanx dude much appreciate the advice
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cursedprophet View Post

i didnt realize C3 was so cpu intensive though :S that kinda sucks lol, i dunno if its worth me up'ing to a 3770k or just waiting for enough cash to grab a 1150 mobo with a 4xxxk chip :S

not sure atm what to do but i guess i was looking for maybe a simple answer lol unfortunately i cant get one in this case lol

the new g1 sniper 5 looks pretty mean as well
frown.gif


damn if only i was a billionaire lol

anyway thanx dude much appreciate the advice
smile.gif
Honestly it's going to be a problem unless you go for a 2011 hex core. The game is just a pure resource hog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I honestly didn't realize how much it would take to run the game maxed out no issues lol , seems from what I'm reading I'm doomed unless I go for a HT high end chip , ok so I can't really blame my gpus right ? is there a way of overcoming this bottleneck without going for the 3770k or newer 4xxx/k cpus? I reallydont want to fork out for not only new cpu but I'd have to grab a new mobo with a 1150 socket ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,304 Posts
I would say if you really want to a 3770k would be the best choice as you won't need to buy a new board and a 4770k really won't be to much better. As I said you are pretty much gonna always get dips in the open areas but with the i7 you can expect a 25%~ increase on your minimum fps.

And yeah, I very much doubt your GPUs are the issue here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
in you honest opinion would 25$ justify a 37700k? I don't mind going for it but would it be worth the 25% ? I mean 25% is a fair bit right ?
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top