1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crysis Warhead EULA

B. Copies.
Our Software uses access control and copy protection technology. If you purchase rights to the Software using a digital distribution method (i.e. you download your Software from an authorized site), you may download the number of copies allowed by the Software's digital rights managment from an authorized source in the time period(s) specified at the time of purchase.

Source:
http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/...al_english.pdf

The boxed copy has the same DRM as Spore, except the install limit has apparently been raised to 8, as pointed out by the only OCN member who currently has the boxed version on hand. Original quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by byardz
View Post

Install limit is approxmetly 8

EDIT:
It appears that the Steam version of Crysis Warhead does have DRM. It uses SecuROM. However, it only limits the number of computers that the CD key can be active on at one time. It does not limit the number of installs. This has been confirmed by a Steam rep.

Source:
http://www.overclock.net/video-game-...ml#post4566607

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

Source:
http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/...al_english.pdf

The boxed copy has the same DRM as Spore, except the install limit has apparently been raised to 8, as pointed out by the only OCN member who currently has the boxed version on hand. Original quote:

That manual is a digital version of the boxed physical manual. This is not proof of STEAM having DRM. Try again.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by OmegaNemesis28
View Post

That manual is a digital version of the boxed physical manual. This is not proof of STEAM having DRM. Try again.

The quoted clause is pretty conclusive. And it specifically refers to "digitally distributed" or downloaded versions of the game.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Quote:

View Post

"If you purchase rights to the Software using a digital distribution method (i.e. you download your Software from an authorized site), you may download the number of copies allowed by the Software's digital rights managment"

It's a digital distribution method.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

It is made quite clear from that one sentence.

Like I said - that is a digital version (photocopy) of the manual from a physical version of the game.

Quote:

"If you purchase rights to the Software using a digital distribution method (i.e. you download your Software from an authorized site), you may download the number of copies allowed by the Software's digital rights managment"

It's a digital distribution method.

Every game, including Bioshock, has the same statement in it. Bioshock on STEAM does not have DRM.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Like I said - that is a digital version (photocopy) of the manual from a physical version of the game.

Every game, including Bioshock, has the same statement in it. Bioshock on STEAM does not have DRM.

Really?

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2k games officially removed the DRM from Bioshock, so it's no surprise it has no DRM on Steam, which keeps the most up to date versions of the game. Also, Bioshock was not published by EA.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

2k games officially removed the DRM from Bioshock, so it's no surprise it has no DRM on Steam, which keeps the most up to date versions of the game. Also, Bioshock was not published by EA.

There will not be DRM on STEAM. Its impossible. Unless STEAM emails you a key code and says "hold onto this because there is DRM on the game which only allows you to install it # of times or more" then the game cannot have DRM. Ill go and install this on 5-10 different computers and it will not give me a problem. I assure you.

All you've done is link a photocopied version of a boxed retail version of the game. It proves nothing.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

View Post

There will not be DRM on STEAM. Its impossible. Unless STEAM emails you a key code and says "hold onto this because there is DRM on the game which only allows you to install it # of times or more" then the game cannot have DRM. Ill go and install this on 5-10 different computers and it will not give me a problem. I assure you.

We'll all find out tomorrow I guess. I still can't imagine why there would be clauses in the EULA that are the opposite of the truth, though.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

We'll all find out tomorrow I guess. I still can't imagine why there would be clauses in the EULA that are the opposite of the truth, though.

All you've done is link a photocopied version of a boxed retail version of the game.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Let's hope you're right Omega. I agree that 8 times is a lot and I won't even reach that limit in the near future... but still, it doesn't feel good to be treated like that ya know?

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

View Post

All you've done is link a photocopied version of a boxed retail version of the game. It proves nothing.

Yeah, on second thought, that manual does look shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing a lot of shops in my time.

And for the record I do hope you're right Omega.

·
B.O.W
26,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xShishy
View Post

Let's hope you're right Omega. I agree that 8 times is a lot and I won't even reach that limit in the near future... but still, it doesn't feel good to be treated like that ya know?

I agree - its bs.

Quote:

Yeah, on second thought, that manual does look shopped. I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing a lot of shops in my time.

Wow....
I said photocopied, not photoshop..........

1 - 20 of 121 Posts