Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
CRYENGINE adds Linux Support as Crytek Prepare to Offer New Possibilities at GDC

During presentations and hands-on demos at Crytek's GDC booth, attendees can see for the first time ever full native Linux support in the new CRYENGINE. The CRYENGINE all-in-one game engine is also updated with the innovative features used to recreate the stunning Roman Empire seen in Ryse - including the brand new Physically Based Shading render pipeline, which uses real-world physics simulation to create amazingly realistic lighting and materials in CRYENGINE games.
Quote:
Twitter - @cryengine

Breaking News: At @Official_GDC we will for the first time show native #Linux support for #CRYENGINE ! Press Release http://bit.ly/1fo46ej
Source Link
Twitter Announce

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Interesting times ahead for PC Gaming, Mantle on one side, Nvidia's API on another.. Microsoft touting DX12 and XBOne support.. now Linux and native Cryengine support.. sheesh.. I don't know where to look it's like flashing lights everywhere!

·
Introibo Ad Altar Dei
2,066 Posts
It's good that developers are trying to separate themselves from DirectX, why give Microsoft a monopoly on game development framework when they shouldn't have it?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Must have been a decent task to take over the CryENGINE in full. If more major engines at least come over with Linux support, I can imagine a pretty interesting future ahead for SteamOS
biggrin.gif
It'd be interesting to say the least to see DirectX dislodged. So much going on right now, future potentials are pretty insane.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
crysis on SteamOS?

·
:)
11,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by <({D34TH})> View Post

Star Citizen on Linux, anybody?
Might happen, who knows. Would be cool at least!

Nice to see Crytek still pushing new grounds. Wonder how performance will be, Windows vs Linux.

·
Premium Member
1,671 Posts
This is fantastic news. I wonder if they just used a directX to OpenGL wrapper or if they changed the render engine to OpenGL and DirectX. If it's the latter, I have hopes that CRYENGINE is being adjusted to have multiple rendering API support, so possible Mantle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xentrox View Post

Interesting times ahead for PC Gaming, Mantle on one side, Nvidia's API on another.. Microsoft touting DX12 and XBOne support.. now Linux and native Cryengine support.. sheesh.. I don't know where to look it's like flashing lights everywhere!
I don't think NVAPI is what you think it is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts