Ok i have
-P4 1.7 ghz
-ATI X700 128MB 8x (4x on my PC)
-450 Watt Power
-512MB Pc133
-Win XP Home SP2
-200 gb HD
-Its a Dell, its just a temp PC.

Now my question is. Im getting average of 10-40 FPS on CS Source.I run everything on max no AA or AF and no HDR is turned on, Just textures and everything else on high. And a screen resolution of 800x600. Im wondering if it my memory. If i should get another stick of 512. Because This is just getting me mad. Im admin on a large server and im required to be there and play. So i need to have a good running PC. Now i dont want to hear that i should get a pc. This is all i got for another 5-10 months. I just need to know what i should do to get more FPS on CSS and other games. Also i get crap FPS on DOOM3.

And i called a guy a couple of hours ago. He said he could tweak it for me. Im gonna wonder if this would possible help me?

Any suggestions on if i should get more RAM or do soemthing else. (Again i dont want to hear buy a new PC)

·
Banned
72 Posts
well how much memory are you useing on startup? Make sure that u also have the latest drivers and maybe you could try some tweaked drivers http://www.dna-drivers.com/ i hear are pretty good. If you are using to much memory on startup say over 256 you should disable alot of start up items.

·
Banned
72 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonrezz

I think your real drawback is not the amount of ram you have, but that it is only running at 133mhz. I think if you gave that system a higher speed memory it would benefit a lot.

On the dell im on its a geforce 4 ti 4200, 1.7 p4, 256MB PC133 ram and i get those kind of fps 30-50. So i dont think its ram.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
giving the pc better /faster and another 512mb of ram will benefit u alot, as well os overclocking it and overclocking you videocard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well im buying more RAM this weekend. But i dont think i can get any better Clocked ram for a Pc100 and PC 133 mobo. Or is there?

·
Banned
233 Posts
I think u should see if DELL underclocked the GPU for temperaturre reasons ive gottent a DEL Computer at BOEING and its Quadro 32mb GPU was underclocked

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
well some good quality ram will suffice, but you could get some 166, it will run at 133mhz, but when u overclock it it will give u alot of room for upping the speed, kind of ensuring that u wont be held back by your memory...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All i have is 155$ And i just need this PC to last until i get my brand new one for my B-Day. And where could i get some affordable PC166. And i tried overclocking a Dell before but it wouldnt let me. And it wasnt this one. It was the one i fried about 4 months ago. So i would not have any clue if this one would work. Also i bought this power supply and GFX card seperatly it did not come with the PC.

·
Banned
233 Posts
WHOAH omg dude live with your pc until your birthday dont spend your money on your old computer that is so stupid all i sugest for you is overclock and wait for your b day

I m wating until my dad gets a better pc which will be in a year

he curently has a pc that scored 3445 on 3d mark 06

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
oh yeah thats right u have a dell... im sry for the missleading. your right u cant oc a dell...
that sux, so just get another 512 of pc133, and that should help, and maybe turn down the settings on the game too

·
Banned
7,351 Posts
well, first of all see if your running with directx9 or x8, if ur in 8 or 8.1 then i can't help u much but if your in directx9 then changing back to directx8 will help you ALOT.

theres 2 ways of doing this, typing mat_dxlevel 80 (or 81 or 70 or watevr) into console, or right clicking on steam>games>counterstrike then click launch options and typing in "-dxlevel 80" (no quotes, - is included).

and btw, since you have a dell u probably can't overclock anything with its BIOS cuz dell sucks haha, geting an extra 512 won't really give u more fps, but it would keep it pretty stable instead of it going down during a big firefight

also, wat server r u admin on? i play CSS on 24/7 noob refuge office and hazard clan pub

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im admin on 2 servers actually.
24/7 Dust Elitesourcegaming.com
24/7 Dust2 Elitesourcegaming.com 64.154.39.152:27015

If you have Xfire add me. Im bigmatt89

And thanx for the comments man. Ill try that DX8 thing. Im currently running on DX9.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmatt89

Im admin on 2 servers actually.
24/7 Dust Elitesourcegaming.com
24/7 Dust2 Elitesourcegaming.com 64.154.39.152:27015

If you have Xfire add me. Im bigmatt89

And thanx for the comments man. Ill try that DX8 thing. Im currently running on DX9.

Also, Go to main steam page thinger, Then go to um File - Settings - Internet. And set internet to highest it goes ( Lan t1 ) It should stop unecessary caching.

Elite source gaming eh? I'll be sure to drop by

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I am confused.

One thing about dell is that they use NON-STANDERD parts, Mainly motherboard, RAM, and Power supply.

How you used an aftermakret PS in a dell is beyond me, Unless it is a DELL PS.

Hit me back with infop on teh power supply, also could i get the dell model #, like Deminsion 3000?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know huge bump. But i got my new PC and im averagin about 40-80 FPS on max settings. But yeah, it rox.

·
Registered
19 Posts
-450 Watt Power. Seems a bit overkill on your setup. I know this has nothing to do with your question, but I find it kind of funny.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts