Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-18438_7...CarouselArea.0

Quote:
As we note in our intro to the list, for a phone to pass FCC certification and be sold in the United States, its maximum SAR level must be less than 1.6 watts per kilogram. In Europe, the level is capped at 2 watts per kilogram, whereas Canada allows a maximum of 1.6 watts per kilogram. The SAR level listed in our charts represents the highest SAR level measured with the phone next to the ear as tested by the FCC. It's possible for the SAR level to vary between different transmission bands (the same phone can use multiple bands during a call), and different testing bodies can obtain different results.
I suppose this is a good thing, more things to worry about.
Goody.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Interesting read, and just so people aren't confused... the SAR rating is the amount of energy a tested object absorbs, not how much radiation the phones actually give off.

Also, I don't know what else Apple changed between the 3GS and the 3G, but the 3G has a 1.38 rating and the 3GS has a 0.79 rating. Either they lowered the emissions by a lot or C.NET's test was a little iffy.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by foslock View Post
Interesting read, and just so people aren't confused... the SAR rating is the amount of energy a tested object absorbs, not how much radiation the phones actually give off.

Also, I don't know what else Apple changed between the 3GS and the 3G, but the 3G has a 1.38 rating and the 3GS has a 0.79 rating. Either they lowered the emissions by a lot or C.NET's test was a little iffy.
or apple paid them!

pretty much all radiation is harmful, its just a matter of how much you expose your self to it

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmenianLegend View Post
or apple paid them!

pretty much all radiation is harmful, its just a matter of how much you expose your self to it
Bullcrap, I suppose that heatlamp at mcdonalds is going to give you cancer because it puts out a TON of radiation, admittedly it is infrared radiation but since all radiation is harmful you have a lot to worry about....

·
Premium Member
15,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's what we said about microwaves, and soon we'll figure out how much they're screwing up our food and our bodies.
Same thing that happened with cigarettes will happen with microwaves.
World "experts" and "doctors" telling us it's safe, till a study breaks and it's all over and they have to bundle warnings on the packages.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Urufu_Shinjiro View Post
Bullcrap, I suppose that heatlamp at mcdonalds is going to give you cancer because it puts out a TON of radiation, admittedly it is infrared radiation but since all radiation is harmful you have a lot to worry about....

He said it was harmful, he didn't say anything about cancer.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
Cellphones do not give off harmful radiation

Quote:

Originally Posted by foslock View Post

Radiation is relative to the object its inflicted upon.. a person that weigh's 150lbs will have much more water to dissipate the RF inside their mass than a 70lb person... ie- RF effects will be visible sooner in an object of smaller mass [based on water weight] and its ability to reflect/absorb the signal in Q..

ie- your eyes will absorb high freq's much quicker than other parts of your brain, as they are smaller... and are closer to the freq length ... which will effectively make them an "antenna"... absorbing and re-radiating signal.

**I train annually for RF Safety Awareness, in my industry... these are all common principals that apply to RF at any level/freq/power level.

As well.. problems that exist on the cell site side of your said network can keep your handset keyed up at 100% unnecessarily ..increasing RF exposure.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
that list is pretty sad

Every single Motorolla phone is out to kill you

I wonder wat SAR rating the Blackberry Storm has.

My Girlfriend has One, and Ive been thinking about Custom Etching an X2 on it =)

The Black Berry StormX2 Limited Edition lol

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
for what it's worth...

I'm more concerned about getting killed by the people who insist on talking/texting/surfing while driving than the radiation my phone gives off

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
its just more rads, honestly i learned that cellphones gave off mildly harmful radiation when i was 12, you would need to be butt naked in a tiny room filled with 5000000 overclocked cellphones all calling each other to kill more then 4 sperm cells

·
Registered
489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99
View Post

That's what we said about microwaves, and soon we'll figure out how much they're screwing up our food and our bodies.
World "experts" and "doctors" telling us it's safe, till a study breaks and it's all over and they have to bundle warnings on the packages.

Ugh.

Microwaves BY DEFINITION cannot cause cancer. The waves themselves do not possess enough energy to break bonds in molecules, thus cause damage to DNA, thus causing cancer. Microwaves can COOK you by friction if exposed to enough of them, but they cannot cause cancer. PS- Yes microwaves cause friction. They spin water molecules around in a circle so they heat up and thus cook things. That's why an icecube in a microwave wont melt.

Furthermore, the 'radiation' this test is measuring are radio waves, you know that stuff that we've been bathing in for decades.

·
Excel Guru
12,121 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frickfrock99
View Post

Microwaves are now shielded, and they did interfere with pacemakers, so clearly they are capable of having effects. Like anything, the true effect remains to be determined. Since everything seems able to cause mice to get cancer, I will wait for a human study on any object.

I saw the radiation rating for the Droid, and it is partly why I use a Bluetooth headset for long conversations.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDProb View Post
its just more rads, honestly i learned that cellphones gave off mildly harmful radiation when i was 12, you would need to be butt naked in a tiny room filled with 5000000 overclocked cellphones all calling each other to kill more then 4 sperm cells
Does not count since sperms are too badass.

On topic: I've been hearing this thing since childhood, I still haven't seen any proof. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

·
Banned
16,364 Posts
..antenna type/length all make up characteristics that can increase effective radiation as well... Just something to consider in the results.

ie- a weaker amp with better antenna design will have a higher EMF than a stronger amp and poorly designed antenna

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.