Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories...layers-100913/

Quote:

Video games may not be a waste of time after all. A new study finds that playing certain kinds of games actually helps improve quick decision-making skills that can be used in all aspects of life, from driving to keeping track of friends in a crowd.

Interesting, another excuse to play video games.

(Searched, couldn't find anything similar, so if their is ...)

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Nice, I've ALWAYS had this mentality since I was a kid, addicted to N64. I loved hearing teachers/parents whining about how their kids are frying their brains playing video games so much. Games are probably more challenging to our minds than the nonsense crap we get put through in the schooling system.

• Rep+
Reactions: l No l FeaR l

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I like how they imply it was ever a waste of time, because enjoying yourself is just so unhealthy and wrong.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Opeth07
View Post

I like how they imply it was ever a waste of time, because enjoying yourself is just so unhealthy and wrong.

I don't argue that it's unhealthy to sit ALL day literally inactive physically for days/weeks/months/years, but parents/others make it seem like a few hours a day of playing games is a 'problem.'

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
I love how they don't seem to take the same issue with watching TV. Now THERE is an activity that'll rot your brain. A game requires thinking and input. Watching TV is just sitting there, passively taking it in with no thought necessary.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes
View Post

I love how they don't seem to take the same issue with watching TV. Now THERE is an activity that'll rot your brain. A game requires thinking and input. Watching TV is just sitting there, passively taking it in with no thought necessary.

All very true. A game as casual as Guitar Hero can help quite a bit with reaction times and coordination.

·
In a van...DOWNBYTHERIVER
3,589 Posts
God my mom is the epitome of what you describe Ihatethedukes. She goes through the length of taking the router with her to work just so I can't do my daily forum-going, (She doesn't even realize the modem is all I need, and no I'm not going to tell her) but the second she gets home from work, what does she do? Computer for around an hour and then TV until bedtime.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes View Post
The complaining about T.V. era is over they have come up with everything about it, they now need to start picking on other stuff, once the world is 99% used to video games they will start picking on different "modern day" stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post
All very true. A game as casual as Guitar Hero can help quite a bit with reaction times and coordination.
There was a study long ago about reaction times and coordination, which was a "good news" for gamers.

·
Banned
1,782 Posts
Ummm, this was known over a decade ago.

Surgeons who play precision and reflex intensive games perform better and make less mistakes in surgery. Same goes with driving skills, ever wondered why females generally suck at driving and parking? While they're playing tea party we're blasting away in Goldeneye, Unreal and Doom.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by umeris View Post
The complaining about T.V. era is over they have come up with everything about it, they now need to start picking on other stuff, once the world is 99% used to video games they will start picking on different "modern day" stuff.
Maybe a real life like simulation that is sent directly to your brain?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Strategy or role-playing games, on the other hand, don't have the same effect
I attribute what logical and decision-making skills I have today largely in part due to playing strategy games and RPG's. Never really played action games.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
I might Just have to read this article JK

First of all I wouldnt consider The Sims 2 a stretegy game they should have used Company of Heroes since its a real strategy game

Second, i totally agree with all of this i game all the time, (fallout 3 and operation flashpoint dragon rising a lot recently) and my reflexes and all around awareness has improved since when i only gamed everyonce in a while. BTW one of my friends joined the navy a few years back and (No Joke) his drill sarge. had them play video game 3 times a week for 2 hours each time, and he told them it was for relaxing but when boot camp was over he explained to them that their awareness improved from playing it.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
5,110 Posts
I dont understand then why I am still bad at making decisions... I guess it doesnt work for everyone.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by k4m1k4z3 View Post
I dont understand then why I am still bad at making decisions... I guess it doesnt work for everyone.
Would you rather choose 2 years to live happily with a family + some money because you will die of cancer knowing that you will leave a broken family, OR

A normal life without family, some money, but still have some friends? But it would be a dull unsatisfactory life.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant View Post
Would you rather choose 2 years to live happily with a family + some money because you will die of cancer knowing that you will leave a broken family, OR

A normal life without family, some money, but still have some friends? But it would be a dull unsatisfactory life.
Do I get to have sex a lot iin the second situation?

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,086 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzO View Post
Same goes with driving skills, ever wondered why females generally suck at driving and parking? While they're playing tea party we're blasting away in Goldeneye, Unreal and Doom.
LOL
So true...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts