Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remote-desktkop'ed into my PC today to find that CUDA is no longer working! I then uninstalled and reinstalled new drivers, but it still doesn't work! Anyone know what's going on?

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Could you give a bit more info?
Have you tried VNC? If you are trying to run a Folding Program over RDC/RDP it does not work. You need to either manually run it or use a VNC connection.

What exactly are you trying to use CUDA for?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ooh, I guess it is RDC!

Anyway, I tried VNC and it's giving me a "closed connection unexpectedly" error. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
VNC is closing the connection?

The only thing I could think that would influence that is if a Firewall is blocking it, or some other program is interfering. I use RealVNC and usually leave my VNC windows open all day. The only time I ever encounter that type of error is if I run a program that restarts something related to the drivers, or if I shut my computer down.

What exactly are you doing when it says that error?

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's weird- It'll bring up the desktop, but for only like a half-second. It'll exit the window afterwards. I try to do it again and it says, "The connection closed unexpectedly." Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Hm.
The only thing I can really think of that would do that is the server software is not installed correctly.
You still have RDP/RDC still running while trying to VNC (conflicting mirror drivers can cause that).
The firewall in the system doesn't allow for VNC ports to connect.

Try this:
http://www.realvnc.com/support/faq.html
http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc...ry/053889.html

Quote:
What does 'Connection closed unexpectedly' mean?

When VNC Viewer shows this as an error message, it means that VNC Server closed the network connection at a time when the viewer was not expecting it to. This can happen, for example, when the viewer connects to the server and the server can't handle the connection for some reason.
Possible reasons for VNC Viewer showing this error message include:
  • A firewall blocking the connection by explicitly closing it.
  • VNC Server's security is not properly configured.
    Ensure that you have selected an authentication method, set a password if required, and generated secure keys for the server if required.
  • VNC Server is crashing for some reason.
    If this is the case, then the VNC Server Service will no longer be "running" on the server machine.
Under Windows NT based platforms, including Windows XP, you can find out why VNC Server closed the connection by looking at the server's Application Event Log using the Event Viewer administrative tool. VNC Server will log information under the tag "WinVNC4" when running as a service. Log entries starting "Connections: closed" will include a brief description of the reason for the connection closing. If you don't see any such messages at all then VNC Server is not even receiving the connections - this can happen if a firewall is blocking them, or if you are connecting to the wrong computer.
On Unix platforms, VNC Server will normally log information to a ".log" file in the user's ".vnc" directory. As under Windows, log entries starting "Connections: closed" will include a brief description of the reason for the connection closing.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the FAQ- RDC is not running while I try to connect, and I also have the firewall disabled on the machine I'm trying to get to.

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
Did you try reinstalling the VNC software? Or mess with the security settings? Try disabling the password authentication. That should allow it to connect directly without a problem. Then go from there up one step. To connect to VNC with a master password. So on and so forth.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I forgot to mention that this is on Vista, which makes it a bit more difficult :\\ Still working on it.

·
Premium Member
8,052 Posts
I have RealVNC set up on Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Vista Ultimate, and Windows 7.

It should work.

This applies to RealVNC:
In the taskbar, there should be a white (or black if you are currently connected) V NC icon type thing. Right click that and click status. Then Click configure (hit okay if UAC is enabled). The main basic tab should be open. There should be a security area that looks like this:
Attachment 118224

Note only the security area. If you want RealVNC to start on every boot, check that last box (very obvious I think).

Or, click the advanced button at the bottom. And then change the security option to say:
None

This will not require a password at all.

Like this:
Attachment 118225
LL
LL

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
im sure its nothing you dont know but i found a few funny glitches with the 190 drivers in vista 64. i ended up reducing my gpu overclock and then after i got a looping driver issue again i rolled back to the 186's which seem to work well. aparently the 190's have improved cuda but i suppose they are still working out the bugs

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got someone over there to log in manually and start the encoding process. When I thought it was finished, I RDC'ed in and verified it completed successfully. Problem solved

1 - 13 of 13 Posts