Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, quick question

i hear that you need to cure as5 for 3 days before you have optimal temps.

now that is 72 hours

i do not leave my computer on all day, especially now that i have wcing and i am scared of leaks...newbie, yes i know....

but does that mean, my as5 will not be fully cured until i have used my comp for 72 hours, which for me, would be like 3 hours a day = 24 days?

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Yes, the PC needs to be on and running. It is not like glue where it is exposed to air it will dry...AS5 curing is a reaction that takes place due to the heat of the CPU. If you fold just leave your PC on and that will do it fine. I don't know if idle vs load temps will extend that cure time though.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Quote:
Important Reminder:
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.
"Several thermal cycles" refers to allowing the compound to cool completely. So, 200 hours of operation, plus turning it off and allowing to cool completely at least twice is the recommended break-in period.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts