Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting something along the lines of a 7800GT or x1800XL along with a DFI nF4X Infinity in a few months, and I just wanted to know if my current PSU is up to the task of powering the video card. The only things that the PSU will be plugged into will be the motherboard, 2 optical drives and the video card. I use my 2ndary PSU for all of my fans and lights. Do you guys think that I will really NEED a new PSU? Mine does awesome on my current setup, 5V rails have never gone below 4.99V, the 3.3V never below 3.2V and the 12V has never gone below 12.12V.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
I don't know man, I mean 520W sounds good and the amperage on the PSU is good, but I (personally) just don't trust Aspire, I've heard of WAYY too many blowouts with aspire psu's.

But if you can afford it, go for SeaSonic man, best on the market right aside from PC P&C.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just want to avoid sending more than $410 including shipping and taxes, so I wan't to stick with my PSU, if possible. So, it will still run well, right? I mean, I'll still be able to oc and all... You guys think so? If my PSU blows out, I'll get a new one though.

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

I just want to avoid sending more than $410 including shipping and taxes, so I wan't to stick with my PSU, if possible. So, it will still run well, right? I mean, I'll still be able to oc and all... You guys think so? If my PSU blows out, I'll get a new one though.

Well, you see if you didn't risk the chance of frying 50%+ of the parts in your PC I'd say go ahead, but there's a chance that the PSU may make your parts FUBAR. So, to avoid that (if I were in your situation) I would get a new PSU, I mean seasonic has what it takes (and more) for what you want. But try it man, you can always RMA your stuff.

**On Second thought, whats ATi's policy on damage and rma? I mean I KNOW its not as good as eVGA's or XFX's.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource

Well, you see if you didn't risk the chance of frying 50%+ of the parts in your PC I'd say go ahead, but there's a chance that the PSU may make your parts FUBAR. So, to avoid that (if I were in your situation) I would get a new PSU, I mean seasonic has what it takes (and more) for what you want. But try it man, you can always RMA your stuff.

**On Second thought, whats ATi's policy on damage and rma? I mean I KNOW its not as good as eVGA's or XFX's.

My x850 Pro got fried by a crappy PSU (not mine, a friends, ising the card to set his comp up), and ATI took it right back and gave me a brand new one!

Do you think I could get by with a good 480-500 watt (seeing as I don't use more than 350 watts on my current PSU because I do not run any fans or lights with it, just the components)?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103457
Maybe a PSU like the one above?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I think you could go with that. For a while I had a 4400, 7800GTX, 2 GB ram, 2 optical drives, 2x200 GB harddrives, 4 fans, and a lot of LEDs running on 400watts. Wasn't smart because the minimum requirement for a 7 series is 450 watts, but I never had any problems...it ran perfectly. I think you should be alright.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
I think you can try your current psu but plan on getting a new one asap. aspire makes decent psus... but they aren't too good for high end systems. even though they have high ratings they can't really output what they say they can

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
The noisetaker is good and more than enough for that setup. should work great. But yeah, the one you have now will run it, but I wouldn't go into heavy oc'in with it.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlaKing

The noisetaker is good and more than enough for that setup. should work great. But yeah, the one you have now will run it, but I wouldn't go into heavy oc'in with it.

Yeah, BUT my current PSU will not be running ANY fans or lights, I leave that up to my 2ndary. So it only powers the critical system components. My current PSU isn't a bad one at all, but seeing as the 7800GT takes up 2 molex connectors for the one video card... So you REALLY think that it won't allow for OCing? I mean, I only use about 5/8ths of it, and with the 7800GT I'll probabally only use about 3/4ths of it...

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
If you've oc'd with it up to 2.8 plus already, I think its proven itself.
I've heard good and bad stories about the Aspires but have seen quite a few in the rig profiles.
I also built a P4 3.0E rig for my daughter more than 14 months ago with the Aspire 520. She runs it 24/7 and has never had any issues, but,
shes not oc'd!

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

Yeah, BUT my current PSU will not be running ANY fans or lights, I leave that up to my 2ndary. So it only powers the critical system components. My current PSU isn't a bad one at all, but seeing as the 7800GT takes up 2 molex connectors for the one video card... So you REALLY think that it won't allow for OCing? I mean, I only use about 5/8ths of it, and with the 7800GT I'll probabally only use about 3/4ths of it...

oh yeah sorry, i misread your question. yeah your 520 should be fine with that. My cousin has an Aspire 350 that came with his case. It has given him zero problems for a year now. With only 3/4ths used your rails should be fine, so I would stick with that one, even with heavy oc'ing. As of now though, I always have an extra $100 laying around for just a new PSU. I've had my share of bad ones...
luckily for you, Aspire is not on that list.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts