Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went back to Arch on my desktop. Right now my environment is i3 window manager launched by XDM. Feh sets my background, which is automatically run by i3 upon startup. I'm using scrot for screenshots, mapped to $mod+PrintScreen. That's not really important, though. I just wanted to give you a quick feel for what sort of environment I've been setting up.

I'm bored with the default cursor (mouse pointer). It does this plain round black and white spinning thing when something's loading. I honestly don't know what I would rather it does, but I am bored with it as it is. Maybe it could be a dinosaur? I remember having cursor themes like that back in the Windows 98/XP days. I don't know if I would actually use a dinosaur anymore, but I'm sure my daughter would get a kick out of that.

I've done a little of searching for how to change the cursor theme, but that's a setting your DE, like Gnome or KDE, usually handles. I'm not sure how to change the cursor theme manually. There are probably some small utilities to help with this, but I'm unaware of any. Recommend me something, or point me in the right direction for some good reading, please? I'm not looking to install a full desktop environment.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
The cursors are stored in .icons or /use/share/icons and can be set manually in you .gtkrc-2.0 file ( I belive is the correct name, on my phone so can't check, and to lazy to google
biggrin.gif
). Or you can use a lightweight program like lxappearance to do it ( how I do ).

I also get most of my cursors themes from deviantart, or at least used to. These days I iust use the kde oxygen cursors on all of my systems. Simple but not quite dated like the standard x cursor or gnome cursor.

Edit: And as always, wiki it... https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cursor_themes

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Edit: And as always, wiki it... https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cursor_themes
doh.gif
Not sure how I missed that article, thanks. I've used lxappearance in the past, and it's a nice little utility. That was for setting GTK themes when I was using Enlightenment, so I kind of forgot it works with cursors as well.

Edit: For fun, I looked up the dinosaur.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts