Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking around the web, it seems that back-plates are quite expensive. So, I've decided to make my own from acrylic. Below are some mock ups. These designs will be made up of two parts. The bottom layer of acrylic will be white, then I will place the design/s below over the top. These will be laser cut.

The red lines are cut lines and the grey areas will be raster engraved(like etching).

Which design do you guys think looks the best?

P.s I know the lines are too thick for the final files...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's some 3D mock ups I made in Blender. Originally I was going to go with Black on White, but after doing some test in Blender, I think White on Black looks FAR better.

Also, the Claw logo will be cut out now rather than etched on the acrylic. Etching takes a lot longer, which costs more. Plus if I do go with the white on black, it wouldn't show up as much anyway. So a cut out would be better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey there, nice work. IMO the colour would depend on the colour of your build. But by just looking at the renders, I see that the white on black looks really really good. Having a black background is looking better. Its kinda matte as compared to a somewhat more shiny white background. White background will not just shine but also reflect the things around like a mirror which will take away the attention from the design I guess. The black even if reflective will reflect a little less vividly than the white plate. And good call on cutting the claw instead of etching. You are as it is going to place a black plate layer behind the cut design plate layer so the cut will look clean and awesome, certainly much more than the etch.

As for the design. the third design , for which there is no render looks the best to me. It is kinda formal looking as compared to more ambitious claws of the first two, I kinda like it that way. Though it also depends on how how your orientation is inside the case and how the card will look from outside. All the best and do post real pics once you get the acrylic cut.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13zero8 View Post

Hey there, nice work. IMO the colour would depend on the colour of your build. But by just looking at the renders, I see that the white on black looks really really good. Having a black background is looking better. Its kinda matte as compared to a somewhat more shiny white background. White background will not just shine but also reflect the things around like a mirror which will take away the attention from the design I guess. The black even if reflective will reflect a little less vividly than the white plate. And good call on cutting the claw instead of etching. You are as it is going to place a black plate layer behind the cut design plate layer so the cut will look clean and awesome, certainly much more than the etch.

As for the design. the third design , for which there is no render looks the best to me. It is kinda formal looking as compared to more ambitious claws of the first two, I kinda like it that way. Though it also depends on how how your orientation is inside the case and how the card will look from outside. All the best and do post real pics once you get the acrylic cut.
thumb.gif
Thanks. I have received the quotes. They are very good prices. I have decided on white on black with the claw logo being cut out. I've checked and re-checked the measurements for dimensions and most importantly the holes for the screws, so fingers crossed they fit nicely. I will post photo when they arrive.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Cool renders dude!

i recently got a laser cutter & well this was the first thing i made hehe. it was just on bits of scrap acrylic so ignore the colour scheme.

then i made some other stuff too & then i did this one.
wink.gif

20150116_164952.jpg

the letter's are cut slightly bigger & then inset into the base piece.

the acrylic piece is 3mm thick & then 3mm spacers. so overall its 6mm off the PCB.

with 2 layers & then the spacing your looking at 9mm of the PCB. unless you use HIPS which likes to bend very easy when laser cut.

still really cool renders! message me if you want any help
thumb.gif

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those look great! I was going to have a design like that, with the push fit parts. I will post photos when they arrive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, do post the pics when you can sebmeikle, I sure your claw cut is going to look great !

@kurropted chaos, Love the ati logo you made, even the detail with the "dot" present in the I , great work.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebmeikle View Post

Those look great! I was going to have a design like that, with the push fit parts. I will post photos when they arrive.
thx, i was just messing about trying the idea out.
thumb.gif
post pics when you do get it. im really eager to see how it comes out
wink.gif

Quote:

Yes, do post the pics when you can sebmeikle, I sure your claw cut is going to look great !

@kurropted chaos, Love the ati logo you made, even the detail with the "dot" present in the I , great work.
thumb.gif
i just grabbed that ATI logo in a rush. but it came out ok & the idea works on 3mm acrylic.

now imagine an XFX one in black & gold or white & gold or any colour/logo combo
thumb.gif

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was just looking at other custom backplates people have made. Most, if not all, of them are using spacers between the backplate and the GPU. Is this very important? I didn't think of this. I can still easily add it to the design, as they would just sit behind the backplate.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Quote:

I was just looking at other custom backplates people have made. Most, if not all, of them are using spacers between the backplate and the GPU. Is this very important? I didn't think of this. I can still easily add it to the design, as they would just sit behind the backplate.
yeah there are lots of little chips on the back & they shouldnt come in contact really.

highest one on my cards is about 2.5mm high. 3mm is good cleareance for most cards.

thumb.gif

·
Registered
12 Posts
As long as it is keeping ypur card safe and at the same time there is no change in the look of the design per se, I guess you are better off going with the spacers too...

@korruptedkaos, Black and gold seems just perfect, a little shiny gold for me though.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, sure. I can send your the EPS files if you want. I also have them for Blender, but that's more for 3d previews.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As you probably guessed, my PC case theme is Black and White. Hence why I choose those colours for my backplate.

Here's what my rig currently looks like:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for your kindness. It is great if u can send them to me.

PS. White and Black will fit perfectly well on your build.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Quote:

As long as it is keeping ypur card safe and at the same time there is no change in the look of the design per se, I guess you are better off going with the spacers too...

@korruptedkaos, Black and gold seems just perfect, a little shiny gold for me though.
all acrylics are shiny, unless you can find G P-95 matte acrylic. which is not easy to source in the uk
rolleyes.gif
unless your buying a pallet load.
Quote:

As you probably guessed, my PC case theme is Black and White. Hence why I choose those colours for my backplate.

Here's what my rig currently looks like:
your design will look awesome in that setup
thumb.gif

if you have some spacers cut out the acrylic then you will want some M2x12 screws assuming the acrylic used is 3mm.
wink.gif

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ah, I was trying to figure out which screws I need. M2, that's the thickness of the screw yes? and the 12 is the length? The top layer of my design will be stuck down with some decent double sided tape. I want a clean look, without having screws showing. It's the bottom plate that would be screwed down.

Both sheets are being cut from 3mm acrylic. So including the card and some 2mm rubber spacers, I guess you're right, about 12mm total thickness.

Edit:
Ok, I just took one of the screws out. I measured it with a digital caliper, it says it is 2.5mm thick.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Quote:

Ah, I was trying to figure out which screws I need. M2, that's the thickness of the screw yes? and the 12 is the length? The top layer of my design will be stuck down with some decent double sided tape. I want a clean look, without having screws showing. It's the bottom plate that would be screwed down.

Both sheets are being cut from 3mm acrylic. So including the card and some 2mm rubber spacers, I guess you're right, about 12mm total thickness.

Edit:
Ok, I just took one of the screws out. I measured it with a digital caliper, it says it is 2.5mm thick.
they may well be M2.5. so M2.5x10 will do if your gluing the top piece on.

you will need CSK screws also if your going to glue the top piece on so you will need need to use a V-bit to get the screws flat & the head sunk properly.

i personally would put the screws right the way through for ease of removing it if needed in the future
wink.gif

1 - 20 of 64 Posts