Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been so long since ive had a name brand computer so i was wondering about people who have recently purchased (or know people who have) name brand computers... how do they run? How are they compared to custom builts with the same specs? Do things go wrong a lot?

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
pre-builts have much less problems because they are built for the average user, they are quiet, and have much less performance

custom's have much better parts, are cheaper, and MUCH easier to work with inside

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Customs arent cheaper from what ive been looking at at dells website...

Why do pre-builts have less problems?

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veto1024

Customs arent cheaper from what ive been looking at at dells website...

Why do pre-builts have less problems?

Well. See. It depends. If you buy a dell......

Your an idiot (no offense)...

Dells aren't built for gaming, and even their gaming computers that they do make. aren't as good as one you will make. Yes, dell has lower prices. But in the computer industry. You pay for what you get. So if you spend 300 dollars on a computer. Your basically paying for a really good LCD monitor, and a piece of crap piece of plastic and a derivative of aluminum.

The reason they have less problems, is becuase the people they're ment for, don't do anything but use microsoft word. and play solitare..

So if you aren't into gaming with graphics. go ahead get a dell...

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im selling so my questions are kinda focused differently. When you say they have less problems... i was kinda thinken their hardware is ... idunno, made for itself or something lol. If i custom built a computer and sold it to one of these web/solitaire people, would they experience more problems then if they bought a dell/cow/comcrap? (I dont wanna help fix their computers if i sell it to them
)

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Well im selling so my questions are kinda focused differently. When you say they have less problems... i was kinda thinken their hardware is ... idunno, made for itself or something lol. If i custom built a computer and sold it to one of these web/solitaire people, would they experience more problems then if they bought a dell/cow/comcrap? (I dont wanna help fix their computers if i sell it to them
)

Trust me... Make a custom one for them. If you have everything they want. and that have any knowledge on how to at most use a button on a cd drive, and use a mouse. They shouldn't have any problems. As long as they aren't fondling with the BIOS and system files and that. (windows keeps them from it initially untill they select to show the information)...

So just tell them to check with you if they have a problem (which they probably wont)...

and if the person who has this computer ever wants to play any games IE counter-strike source, or doom 3... they're gonna be looking to pay for a videocard, and if they don't know how to install it, then you're gonna have and come out to fix it for them. Just get that done in the beginning and you'll be set.

Also. Custom computers are better because you can basically put them a few years ahead by overclocking it FOR the user. So. If intel makes a P4 thats 4GHz just overclock a 3.4 up 600MHz, and there ya go. ur a few years ahead of the game. because I believe intel cpu's can go 1GHz higher than actual speed.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They wont give a crap about overclocking
And that would require buying a new hs/f for a speed update they wont even realize they have and screw over my prices >

Well if they wanna screw around with everything then its their own problem

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

They wont give a crap about overclocking
And that would require buying a new hs/f for a speed update they wont even realize they have and screw over my prices >

Well if they wanna screw around with everything then its their own problem

Right. But still. at least give the customer what he/she payed for. Ur right. Unless they're gaming, they aren't gonna see the difference. but IN THE CASE. That the person wants to expand to a faster processor. Its right there for the customer.

But trust me. Get a Custom for the person. They won't know the difference. And more money in ur pocket (while having the confidence that you know that you gave the customer what they wanted/payed for)

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Naa.. they probably wont understand what a faster processor will do for them

They'd probably just want to buy a new computer! Which means more money for me

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
lol. well yea. I definatley suggest custom. nomatter who the customer is. get that. definatley. Just know what ur doing. (make it idiot proof for the idiot user)

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Ya gotta buy pre-made it seems....

Or is there a whole world of laptop construction going on out there that i just don't know about?

[Chong voice]It's all proprietary, man... [/Chong voice]

·
Banned
642 Posts
yeah try overclocking a Dell lol those intel motherboards blow but dude you should always build your own that way you know it in and out like the back of your hand and it will run better overclock better and its yours created with your sweat and blood you will always value a custom more than a pre-built

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tw33k2514
yeah try overclocking a Dell lol those intel motherboards blow but dude you should always build your own that way you know it in and out like the back of your hand and it will run better overclock better and its yours created with your sweat and blood you will always value a custom more than a pre-built
and I doubt dell's bios even let you to oc.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource
and I doubt dell's bios even let you to oc.
nope. wont let you overclock the cpu. and yes i do have a dell laptop, but it has a real graphics card instead of the typical "intergrated graphics" setup. not bad with games, it runs HL2 fine on medium settings. once i get some money im gonna build my own system.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts