Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon OCN, my brother (TheLastKing) and I have decided since we both want new cases (I have my 900 he has a POS 90's case we cut holes in) that we are going to collaborate on a case design and have two of them custom fabbed.

While it may seem far fetched we have resources that give us a leg up on most in that our Father owns a metal fabrication company so we should be able to get some of the work in creating the pieces through him(though its a few hundred miles away so shipping could be a pain), my best friend is a snap-on dealer and insanely talented mechanic who I am sure would be glad to lend a hand which along with any tool you could think of he also brings his skill set and connections with his customers from auto body shops to painters/powder coating shops etc, the rest we will have to either have fabbed locally and/or some things we should be able to make on our own with my modding tool set and my brothers soldering, welding, electrical skills and the like. Right now though the design is dust, nothing to it, havent even put pen to paper or cursor to screen.

So now you ask yourself, "I just read a whole paragraph and it told me nothing about why I am still here, why did TLP make a random post to tell me about his far fetched plans?"

The reason I created this thread is for community input, in my time here I have come to appreciate and respect the vast knowledge of OCN
, especially the modding society. So I figured I would make a thread with basically an open forum for what you all think are necessities in a good case and what to avoid because it may sound like a cool idea but doesn't work in practice

Criteria so far
Large mid tower - A little taller and wider than the 900 I have now
Side window & maybe an acrylic top
PSU separated from the rest of the components and out of sight (false floor?)
Air cooled for now but would like it to be able to be successful water cooled in the future
Possibly 90° board mounting as I think the concept behind it seems to make sense.

Would prefer to have it constructed out of metal as most acrylic cases I have seen seem rickety and I have a 3 year old, my brother has a pit bull, probably best to build something bullet proof

All that being said, what do you all think makes a good case

·
Registered
190 Posts
Honestly it's hard to say what makes a good case because the answer will change with each person, with similar responses here and there

HOWEVER

Here's my

If you want water cooling upgradeability, I'd recommend making it large enough for all the equipment. A little larger than a mid tower may or may not be enough.

I. Absolutely. Adore. Double Wide Cases
(A.K.A they have the width of two towers smacked together)

I personally see that as the best method for water cooling upgradeability, plus it gives you the opportunity to hide the PSU as well

(I'm currently fabricating my acrylic case into a double wide
)

You'll need to think carefully about the placement of each component. I'd recommend having linear setups for the fans so that you could add radiator(s) later (i.e fan holes stacked one above the other)

The acrylic top I'd say no to, as the windows will provide plenty of view space into the case for aesthetics

Other than that, it goes more into your creative flow and what you think would be a cool addition to the case, whether for functionality or aesthetic appeal.

Most importantly: Have fun with it!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input! Double wide is cool, perhaps a little too wide for the space it needs to fit but we are thinking along the same lines though I was thinking maybe one in a half width. Waiting for TheLastKing to stop by and give his input, but he is a slacker, soldering on his custom amp he just built instead of sitting on the computer in front of OCN, man where are peoples priorities these days.

·
Registered
190 Posts
LOL

Well if you need any assistance with the planning of the case, I'm more than happy to offer my input on the prep stages

I've done a few double wides and regular case sizes, so I could help out here and there

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
I don't like double wide cases. They just seem too bulky and boxy, but that's just my personal aesthetic opinion.

Things I like in cases-
Functionality. The panels need to be easily removable and any filters/braces on the case need to be the same way. I hate a very good looking case which is ridiculously hard to disassemble.

Intelligent placement of fans. I loved both my A300 and my CM690 because the can placement is well thought out and effective in moving the air in, and out, of the case.

Good cable management holes. Self explanatory.

That's all off the top of my head. Really I just like a case that is very functional and clean. Nothing over the top, nothing huge, nothing LED'd out, lol.

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPriest
View Post

All that being said, what do you all think makes a good case

Hello.

My

• Structural integrity
  • Non-layering of components (each individual component can be removed without disturbing the other components)
  • External access to each component (i.e. HDD's) or group of components (i.e. Motherboard and its mounted components)
  • Sliding Motherboard tray
  • Modular panels that can be used to mount fans, radiators or window/solid blanks
  • A design that facilitates discrete cable management
  • A design that facilitates uni-directional airflow
  • Separate thermal zones for core-components (i.e. PSU [you addressed this], GPU's, CPU, HDD's)
  • Aesthetics (personal and subjective)

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by repo_man
View Post

I don't like double wide cases. They just seem too bulky and boxy, but that's just my personal aesthetic opinion.

Things I like in cases-
Functionality. The panels need to be easily removable and any filters/braces on the case need to be the same way. I hate a very good looking case which is ridiculously hard to disassemble.

Intelligent placement of fans. I loved both my A300 and my CM690 because the can placement is well thought out and effective in moving the air in, and out, of the case.

Good cable management holes. Self explanatory.

That's all off the top of my head. Really I just like a case that is very functional and clean. Nothing over the top, nothing huge, nothing LED'd out, lol.

I would agree, accessibility is my only issue with my 900 (other than size which I cant really fault it for) so much pain involved in getting HDD's out, or anything for that matter once you have it packed tight. Yeah I am thinking flat black maybe even powder coated a dull strong looking color, trying to decide how to get enough light to view the parts inside without looking gaudy. Thanks Repo

·
Is he still around?!
11,240 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheLastPriest
View Post

I would agree, accessibility is my only issue with my 900 (other than size which I cant really fault it for) so much pain involved in getting HDD's out, or anything for that matter once you have it packed tight. Yeah I am thinking flat black maybe even powder coated a dull strong looking color, trying to decide how to get enough light to view the parts inside without looking gaudy. Thanks Repo

Directed LED lighting is always nice. You can aim the light where you want it as opposed to CCFL which diffuse the light evenly into the entire case. Something to think about perhaps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts