Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, hello, my first in this area. Excuse me if I sound like a noob, but is it possible to build a completely custom case? Well... yes, I would expect it to be, but what would I need to make one?

What I'm thinking about doing in the future is make literally a glowing cube. Of course, the glow would be LEDs that turn on with the computer, of course. I'm thinking of a 7"x7"x7" case with a simplistic design. Slot loaded DVD drive, maybe a couple of USB ports in the front and back as well as the sound and video stuff, all in a white, glowing cube.

Impossible, I know.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. I'm not looking to make the cube a powerhouse or anything.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright. Another quick question, would it be possible to make a custom IO panel thing to make it fit the design of the case and hide unwanted connections? And does anyone know of any miniPCIe Wireless cards?

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BenRK
View Post

Alright. Another quick question, would it be possible to make a custom IO panel thing to make it fit the design of the case and hide unwanted connections? And does anyone know of any miniPCIe Wireless cards?

Yes take a look at the guy who made a PC case out of an Xbox case(search OCN)...cut his own io panel out of some sheet metal

As for a wifi card

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...e+wifi&spell=1

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dang, it's going to cost me a lot of time and money to make the case... but what did I expect? A white glowing cube with a clear plastic coating... it's hard to explain the idea in my head.

I'm aiming for something simplistic and futuristic. I'm not worried about hardware, I'm sure I can cram everything I need into a 7" x 7" x 7" cube. I'm worried about making it glow. The cube would have a soft white glow, the power button would glow red when turned off, and blue when on, and the DVD drive would glow blue when a disk in inserted. Bah, this is going to be a fun project when I get the money and tools and time and materials to do it.

And yes, Micro ITX boards are smaller then 7", which is why I want the size I do.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
You could pick up on of those Zotac Mini ITX mobos.
For the lighting, you could always just use some white LEDs or Cathodes.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I'm looking at those, though I might want something better then an Atom. Built in video is not a problem. The computer it self would probably be running Ubuntu or something.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts