Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother has been wanting a laptop for some time but prices on them can be pretty outrageous for the performance/specs they are rated at.

And we all build custom desktop pc's.....Can I build a custom laptop? What hardware goes into them? I know theres laptop HDD's and RAM but what about cpu's? cpu coolers? Motherboards? etc etc.

Is this even doable?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, building your own laptop is posible but it is a royal pain. For example limited parts, needs to be compatible with whatever case your getting and plainly it might even be more expensive do to the fact there is very litle competition in oem laptop parts.

·
Registered
445 Posts
building laptops kinda hard to get all compatable gear, when i researched it i found that there were a few older models released in barebone kits that were half good. but if you want anything quad core i think its best just to hit up ebay.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Unfortunately while it is possible to custom build a laptop its a small and uncompetitive market compared with custom desktops. Even if you did end up saving money over a pre-built (which is unlikely) its going to be an ultimatly insignificant amount which is still outweighed by the cost in effort and time. More likely than not your mums not going to need that much power anyway. Just read a few reviews and find nice and comfy laptop x, y or z. It will be fine for her facebook games and what not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts