Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes u am looking to build a new Custom Liquid Cooling Loop so I need to know what should I get?

I will have the following:
NZXT Switch 810
SLI EVGA GTX 680s with Backplate
Core i7 3770K
Gigabyte G1Sniper 3
32GB DDR3 2123 MHz
2x120GB SSD
2x2TB HDD

So what should I get to cool everything?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also just ordered all of those parts so I will start the build soon so I need to order my custom loop. I also bought a 660ti as a dedicated PhysX card so I might need to cool that to.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Depends on if you're looking to cool the GPU as well. The Swiftech H220 ($150) has a decent pump and can be expandable to additional radiators and a GPU block.

What are you cooling goals, (e.g. silent, performance, etc)?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Performance and I want to cool everything possible. Except my HDDs

·
Registered
102 Posts
This really depends on your budget and whether or not you've thought about your loop configuration in the case. If you plan on keeping the hard drive bays where they are in the Switch 810, it'll also limit the radiator space available. Personally, I'd get a 360 rad on the roof in push/pull and a 240 rad on the floor in push/pull. The 240 rad on the floor may mean you are running one less HDD bay.

You may also want to think about returning that 660ti and using that money toward your water cooling parts if it means expanding your budget. A dedicated PHYSX card with 680s in SLI won't bring much of a performance increase. It also means one less waterblock to buy.

Take it from me - if this is your first loop, make sure you take your time and research the parts, loop configuration, and available space. You can run the system on air until you feel like you're making the best decision in parts before you end up wasting a lot of money.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been researching for months and if there is a better case than I can return the switch and get a better one I would prefer a 480MM and my budget is $500. Ill probably just give the 660ti to my buddy money really isn't an issue here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBuilder94 View Post

I have been researching for months and if there is a better case than I can return the switch and get a better one I would prefer a 480MM and my budget is $500. Ill probably just give the 660ti to my buddy money really isn't an issue here.
If money isn't an issue I'd send the case back and getting something like an 800D, it has incredible space for watercooling loops. Also, you could do some pretty great things with a large budget of $1000 for watercooling
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
8,240 Posts
You don't need a 480mm. You can just get thicker 360's like the Alphacool Monstas. Physx card will hardely be used so it won't generate much heat, but that's not a reason to not cool it
tongue.gif
just saves money.

Personally, go with the XSPC Raystorm kit from performance pcs and use promo code OCN55. They're awesome kits, can handle a lot and only 150 bucks. Then just order yourself a GPU block if your PCB is compatible.

800D was a piece of junk. I had one and the temps in that thing were terrible. There's literally almost no airflow in that case. My GPU temps would go up 10C just from putting the side panel on. So unless you want to mod the heck out of it to get some decent airflow stick with the switch, it's amazing.

Heres my build log with it

http://www.overclock.net/t/1350525/build-log-29cu-cyprus-coming-soon

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I guess I'm in the OP's boat: lot's of money to spend.

I simplified the problem by going EK everything, since I've previously seen good reviews for their stuff (aside from the Nickel issue, which shouldn't be a problem anymore since they changed their plating process and I'm using premix coolant). Also just going with an external rad/res/pump box (really it's just a piece of 1x12 lumber that I screw/glue/velcro to) I didn't have to worry about whether my case can fit the radiators or where to put the pump. Lot's more flexibility too...I can add a second quad radiator or whatever no problem. I figure I'm already in it about $900 so far though, so I'm hesitant about spending another $300 on pull fans and a second rad and pump, but that's not on topic.

FWIW don't bother cooling ram or hard drives. Not worth it. I've run 2V on 1.5V eco sticks with tiny fins and they don't even get hot.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBuilder94 View Post

General rule of thumb is you want a 120mm rad per block + an additional 120mm; so a 480mm radiator should be fine, but will fit with some modification and compromise. With a $500 budget, you'll but shaving off some performance, but it'll give you something to build on in the future (this also depends on the type of fittings you've decided on).

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Compression and I was wondering if the Azza Gebesis 9000 would be good?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? Then I'll stick with the switch I want the window anyways.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since we got the case settled what Blocks, pump, and res should I get? Also, I would like to know if the Swiftech Micro is a good res? I will be cooling my GPUs and CPU. I also want a liquid that will match my color cordination Green and Grey.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I chose an XSPC Raystorm CPU block. Now I need GPU blocks a Res and a Rad

·
Registered
1,403 Posts