Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey OCN

For fun, I'd like to build a custom loop for my current rig.
First time I am doing this.

Current hardware:

Fractal Design Meshify S2
MSI X570 Unify
5950 X
MSI Gaming Trio X 2080 Ti

After a couple of days reading up on the matter, I came up with the following components.
Just wanted to hear, if there is anything stupid in there. Some components are only my second choice, due to stock availability / shipping costs.

I would appreciate input about the amount of fittings needed and if I need any extenders, rotary or 45/90 degree adaptors.
(Thought I would just buy a small amount of varying fitting accessories, but this is not exactly cheap).

I am also a bit worried if that loop would have the cooling capacity for next gen higher end Nvidia GPUs which might be 400W +
I am absolutely not sure, If I can and should go push-pull as well if a thicker rad could work out in the S2.

Here is the list, any input and advice is welcome!

RadiatorsCorsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 (30mm) [x2]
CPU blockHEATKILLER® IV PRO (AMD PROCESSOR) BLACK COPPER
GPU blockEK-Quantum Vector Trio RTX 2080 Ti D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
GPU backplateEK-Vector Trio RTX 2080 Ti Backplate - Black
Pump / ReservoirHEATKILLER TUBE 150 D5 MP
Pump / Reservoir Fan MountHEATKILLER® TUBE - 120MM FAN ADAPTER (PAIR)
Pump / Reservoir MountHEATKILLER® TUBE - BASIC MOUNTING KIT
TubingEK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm
ControllerAquacomputer Quadro
Temp/Flow SensorAquacomputer Flow sensor high flow 2, G1/4
FittingsBARROW COMPRESSION FITTING 16/10 BLACK
DrainBARROW G1/4" MINI BALL VALVE BLACK
LiquidEK-Loop Foldable Filling Bottle
LiquidEK-CryoFuel Clear (Concentrate 100mL)
FansNoctua / Arctic [x6/x12]
OthersEK-Cable Y-Splitter 3-Fan PWM (10cm) [x2/x4]

·
Shooting down fallacies
9,021 Posts
Personally, I would avoid both ZMT and Cryofuel. ZMT is made out of spec and will be difficult to use with the Barrow (or any other quality compression fitting) fittings, and has a habit of coming out of the box with the internals absolutely filthy. Filthy to the point of needing to be cleaned with detergent and a tubing brush, and then needing to rinse out the detergent. Watercool EPDM, or Tygon A-60-G if it is available to you, are much better choices.

If you do a quick search here you will find more than a few users who have been through nightmares with Cryofuel gunking up in their systems. Get yourself some Mayhems X1 or XT-1 Nuke and save yourself the headaches.

You are also going to get numerous replies telling you that you won't have enough rad. You can get by with just the 360, but don't expect miraculous temps that way. You may want to consider adding a 240 or 280mm. If you are going to stay with just the 360mm, make sure you get fans that have a good PQ curve for the job that can deliver a good amount of air and static pressure at speeds that aren't deafening. Stick with the Phanteks T-30, Noctua NF-A12X25, Thermalright TL-B12 or the like. The Arctics are good cheap hype fans, but aren't up to that task.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
If you post in the classifieds, you might be able to get a used 2080ti block.

Don't use EK Cryofuel. Too many people have had it gunk up on them. Rather, go with Corsair coolants since they are made by Mayhems. Personally I buy Mayhems from the liquid_gaming ebay store liquid_gaming on eBay

Also as Ciarlantro said, avoid ZMT. Buy the same EPDM tubing from an industrial supply store. It will be cleaner.

How do you plan on mounting the pump/res? The Heatkiller tube basic mounting kit is designed to fit into the hole spacing of Heatkiller HTSF2 radiators or the Watercool MO-RA-3. Here it is attached to my MO-RA3:

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally, I would avoid both ZMT and Cryofuel. ZMT is made out of spec and will be difficult to use with the Barrow (or any other quality compression fitting) fittings, and has a habit of coming out of the box with the internals absolutely filthy. Filthy to the point of needing to be cleaned with detergent and a tubing brush, and then needing to rinse out the detergent. Watercool EPDM, or Tygon A-60-G if it is available to you, are much better choices.

If you do a quick search here you will find more than a few users who have been through nightmares with Cryofuel gunking up in their systems. Get yourself some Mayhems X1 or XT-1 Nuke and save yourself the headaches.

You are also going to get numerous replies telling you that you won't have enough rad. You can get by with just the 360, but don't expect miraculous temps that way. You may want to consider adding a 240 or 280mm. If you are going to stay with just the 360mm, make sure you get fans that have a good PQ curve for the job that can deliver a good amount of air and static pressure at speeds that aren't deafening. Stick with the Phanteks T-30, Noctua NF-A12X25, Thermalright TL-B12 or the like. The Arctics are good cheap hype fans, but aren't up to that task.
Thanks a lot, I didn't really read up about liquid yet, just thought ill use cryofuel, as i have to order from them anyways. I will use something else. Also can get Watercool EPDM!
About rads: It's not very clear from the post, but I want to use two 360 mm rads, 30 mm thick, front and top.

Don't use EK Cryofuel. Too many people have had it gunk up on them. Rather, go with Corsair coolants since they are made by Mayhems. Personally I buy Mayhems from the liquid_gaming ebay store liquid_gaming on eBay

Also as Ciarlantro said, avoid ZMT. Buy the same EPDM tubing from an industrial supply store. It will be cleaner.

How do you plan on mounting the pump/res? The Heatkiller tube basic mounting kit is designed to fit into the hole spacing of Heatkiller HTSF2 radiators or the Watercool MO-RA-3. Here it is attached to my MO-RA3:

View attachment 2542764
I will check for used 2080 Ti blocks, but its a non-reference card and i think only EK and Bitspower made blocks for it.
About mounting: I was thinking either I will drill holes in the back of the case, or use the 120mm fan mount, that can go into rad or fan

·
Shooting down fallacies
9,021 Posts
Excellent suggestion on the Corsair coolant - It slipped my mind that they existed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Watercool EPDM, or Tygon A-60-G if it is available to you, are much better choices.
I'm hijacking this -

Is Tygon A-60-G "better" than Watercool EPDM?
I'm in Europe and Tygon A-60-G seems not available (I've not searched super thoroughly though, which I will if there is a definitive difference between it and WC EPDM).

·
Shooting down fallacies
9,021 Posts
Thanks a lot, I didn't really read up about liquid yet, just thought ill use cryofuel, as i have to order from them anyways. I will use something else. Also can get Watercool EPDM!
About rads: It's not very clear from the post, but I want to use two 360 mm rads, 30 mm thick, front and top.
Got it, you will have plenty of rad for those components.

• Rep+
Reactions: dk_mic

·
Shooting down fallacies
9,021 Posts
I'm hijacking this -

I'm in Europe and Tygon A-60-G seems not available (I've not searched super thoroughly though, which I will if there is a definitive difference between it and WC EPDM).
Hijacker!!!!! ;)

Not really much, if any difference between the two. Both are very well made.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
I use distilled water with a touch of Biocide.

I use a Corsair XR7 480 and a HL 360 rads for a 5900x and a RX6800 and it is plenty.

Looks like a very nice rig.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
I'm hijacking this -

Tygon A-60G is an expensive, overkill alternative to EPDM. It is unfortunately recommended a lot here. If you cool your loop with sulfuric acid or jet fuel, go with Tygon A-60G. If you use glycol and water, EPDM is fine. If your loop operates between -75°F to 275°F, go for it. If you are OK with -30°F to 200°F, stick with EPDM. It is what your car's radiator hose is made from.

·
Registered
139 Posts

View attachment 2542764
Thanks M8! :D

Recently had some EK Cryofluid clear concentrate arrive, and remember now, my last water build I used Mayhems extreme white conc. in the tiny metal can and had zero issues. You changed my mind, going with Mayhems clear XT concentrate for my current custom AIO (no res) loop. Cannot find the Mayhems anywhere in stock except liquid gaming - ships from the UK.

Soaking my HL rads this weekend with Mayhems Blitz Kit. :p

Sorry for the highjack OP, best of luck with your loop.
Light Automotive lighting Auto part Font Metal

Hope I have enough fittings for an AIO! :ROFLMAO:
Dishware Tableware White Black Drinkware

·
WaterCooler
4,501 Posts
TubingEK-Tube ZMT Matte Black 15,9/9,5mm
LiquidEK-CryoFuel Clear (Concentrate 100mL)
No.

Watercool EPDM or Tygon A-60-G

Mayhems X1 / ModmyMods / Corsair Clear coolants

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Thanks M8! :D

Recently had some EK Cryofluid clear concentrate arrive, and remember now, my last water build I used Mayhems extreme white conc. in the tiny metal can and had zero issues. You changed my mind, going with Mayhems clear XT concentrate for my current custom AIO (no res) loop. Cannot find the Mayhems anywhere in stock except liquid gaming - ships from the UK.

Soaking my HL rads this weekend with Mayhems Blitz Kit. :p

Sorry for the highjack OP, best of luck with your loop.
View attachment 2542774

Hope I have enough fittings for an AIO! :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 2542777
Liquid Gaming bought out Mayhem. Messy transition last heard.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input, everyone. Went ahead and ordered this now, had to split the order across 5 shops..

RadiatorsCorsair Hydro X Series XR5 360 [x2]
CPU blockHEATKILLER® IV PRO (AMD PROCESSOR) BLACK COPPER
GPU blockEK-Quantum Vector Trio RTX 2080 Ti D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
GPU backplateEK-Vector Trio RTX 2080 Ti Backplate - Black
PumpWCP D5-PWM
ReservoirHEATKILLER TUBE 150 D5 MP
Pump / Reservoir Fan MountHEATKILLER® TUBE - 120MM FAN ADAPTER (PAIR)
Pump / Reservoir MountHEATKILLER® TUBE - BASIC MOUNTING KIT
TubingHEATKILLER EPDM TUBING ID 3/8" - 5/8" OD (16/10MM) BLACK MATTE [3m]
ControllerAquacomputer Quadro
Temp/Flow SensorFlow sensor high flow NEXT
LiquidFILLING BOTTLE 1000ML
LiquidMAYHEMS X1 CLEAR 1 LTR PREMIXED V2 [x3]
FansPhanteks T30 PWM 120mm Lüfter, 3er Pack - schwarz [x2]
Fan SplitterEK-Cable Y-Splitter 3-Fan PWM (10cm) [x2]
FittingsBarrow Compression Fitting 16/10 black + Drain + 3 Way Split + various 45/90 Degree Adapters

·
WaterCooler
4,501 Posts
Liquid Gaming bought out Mayhem. Messy transition last heard.
I still want a source for your claims of messy transitions and discontinued products.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Rep+
Reactions: ciarlatano

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
I still want a source for your claims of messy transitions and discontinued products.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
its all somewhere in that mayhem thread. All said by the former owner himself.

·
Shooting down fallacies
9,021 Posts
its all somewhere in that mayhem thread. All said by the former owner himself.
Well, having been a follower and contributor to that thread for years, I can say that I never saw anything resembling what you are saying. There is nothing there now resembling what you are saying. Seems to me you took some little piece of info and made up a whole story around it in your head, and are now sharing it like it's fact. It's not. Stop with the supposition and disinformation.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Well, having been a follower and contributor to that thread for years, I can say that I never saw anything resembling what you are saying. There is nothing there now resembling what you are saying. Seems to me you took some little piece of info and made up a whole story around it in your head, and are now sharing it like it's fact. It's not. Stop with the supposition and disinformation.

Maybe i misinterpreted it but i ain’t in the business of making up fake info/etc. I posted enough that you should know i ain’t in the business of fake info/etc. No need for personal attacks.

The whole thing wasn’t even me it was some poster asking about certain products when they are available to order and then the response.

I only noticed some items were no longer/out of stock around when i was ordering mayhem xt1 clear concentrate and mayhem pastel white for my friend’s build. I don’t really care about whats going on (even that optimus thread).

For the record, i still told my friend to buy mayhem xt1 concentrate for there builds except the one who really only wanted white and mayhem no longer had that really ice white color.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts

Transition sure looks messy to me. I had to use a slightly different online store to buy my XT-1.

Liquid Bottle Light Drinkware Lighting

OP also joked about closing the thread after OptimusWC stopped posting for 2 weeks so I wouldn’t take his humor too seriously.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts