Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I leave the computer on with the window shut, and the door shut, my room becomes soo very warm due to my computer literaly becoming a customer heater. Most of the time the door is shut due to music/games being played loudly, and the window being shut due to the cold/hot air outside. I have an idea to fix all this. Build a custom duct from the back of the pc case and psu, and have the duct exhaust this air outside, thus keeping the temperature in the room remotely the same. Before the air reaches outside, have a little box with an ultra powerful, large fan 25cm+ pushing alot of cfm. Thus having little noise, ultra high cfm, and my room staying the same temperature, this forum will be my build log/comment log.

Tomorrow I will drop by homedepot and check out the ducting they have

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
yep, i have that same problem too. i just leave my doors open and turn down my music though because i'm too far from my window.

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Dryer vents would work too.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The dryer vent would be a cheap and good solution for getting the air to the outside. A small blower would move the most CFM with the least amount of noise. You could hook up a piece of dryer vent to the suction opening of the blower, and build an adapter with sheet metal, or even plastic or ductboard to vent to the outside. You could go through the outside wall, or if you have a ceiling in your room which adjoins directly to the attic of your house, you could vent it with a pipe to discharge directly into your attic. You can find a blower like this at Johnstone Supply, or many other HVAC supply houses. Johnstone probably has the most options of any of them, and would have what you need. Be advised this a wholesale item, but if you tell the salesperson what you want it for, he may let you buy it. You can check out Johnstone`s stuff at < http://www.johnstonesupply.com/scrip...owse=yes&categ > I copied that link exactly, so you should be able to pull up that page (I don`t know how to paste the link into this site). If that doesn`t work, just go to the Johnstone site and find the category "Shaded Pole Blowers 135 to 480 CFM". W.W. Grainger is another supplier that would be more apt to allow a non-licensed person to buy a small blower. This blower won`t be cheap, but I promise you that it will do the job to your satisfaction. You will also have to buy a service cord for it, but that`s cheap.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Okay, I just tried the above link, and it just takes you to the home page. So, go to "Ventilation/Indoor Air Quality", then "Fans", then, "Blowers & Axial Flow Fans", then "Shaded Pole Blowers 135 to 480 CFM". A picture of each product is shown at the top of the page, with the specs of each one listed below. No prices are shown, but if you select an order number, it will I.D. exactly what you`re looking for.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Might try hooking one of those up to Blown Fury....would be a really neat mod...just wondering about noise, definitely wouldn't go for the 400+CFM...lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thank you for all of the feedback. I like the support. I do have an attic right above my head, and dead space on the north and east sides of the room. My computer is on the north side, so I can make a small hole right next to my computer with little need to have a large duct to be an eye sore. The only problem is well, destroying my parents house to do this, I don't think they will take well to the idea.

Another solution is that we have a custom whole house fan, with a large 12-16" vent at the doorway of the 3 upstairs bedrooms and another similar size vent for the rest of the house. This sucker really sucks air in fast with the door closed. I could use the house fan as my case fan with the right ducting lol. Or port out the air directly into the vent.

The house fan only works when it is cool outside 68-75 f, but during the summer 80+, or ultra cold nights 60-, it is totally useless as it only makes the situation worse.

I will post up some pics of the situation after I clean my room... lol

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The vent pic 1

the vent pic 2 (like my posters?)

Made a wind tunnel by covering up side duct.
Cut off the front and back metal covers.
Both of these things reduced noise ALOT.
Decreased idle exterior temp on 6800 also.

·
Banned
5,663 Posts
duct it out the window, simple and easy, just use dryer ducting.

And if you really wanted to, you could duct the cold air from outside to the intake of your pc.... it will really drop your temps lol.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes but that means limited movement in the window, and other problems like not being able to close it all the way.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hey Swamp Man,

Make a plenum adapter to fit the bottom of your partially open window. Since you would be using 4" dryer hose, make that adapter about 6 inches tall and the width of the window, and install a 4" flange for the hose. The flange could be installed at one end of the adapter for cosmetic appearance, and you could even use a couple of 4" elbows to make it look better by running it close to the walls and into the corners. However, by doing it this way, you would need the blower fan I mentioned earlier. The adapter could be made in such a manner as to allow its removal by just opening the window enough. Also, don`t forget to put bird screen and a small weather hood on the outlet end of that plenum. You could paint the hose and plenum the same color as your room, or whatever other color you want. You would also need to make a flange for the hose to fit the outlet side of your rig.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is a good idea, but I want to be able to shut my window.

I found a circular phone jack outlet right by my computer area. The hole for the jack goes into the dead space mentioned before. I think I will pump the hot air through the unused phone jack hole. The dead space has a unfanned vent, so the air being pumped in there can still make it out. The opening is 3.5" so I will use a 12+cm fan, and have that funneled out through that smaller opening.

·
Premium Member
2,825 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snerp
Dryer vents would work too.
Yep, thats what I use. Look at my profile picture.

·
Registered
788 Posts
That will work as long as there is not much restriction, though I think there might be for the fan you have in mind. I would still go with the blower, as its design will overcome a lot of restriction. Also, the plenum design I mentioned would still allow the window to close to the top of the plenum and keep out the weather. You could screw in some angle stops on the window tracks to keep it secure from entry, if that`s what you`re worried about.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have this problem too.. room heat up when pc loaded.. so I made a cardboard air duct. Sorry its very ugly because I don't have the right material for this but it works. My room now is cooler and the air flow inside my pc is good also.

Some pics of my ugly air duct.

Function

Side View

80mm fan near the exit

·
Yes
1,744 Posts
Opposite of in is out so opposite of intake is outtake :lol:
I had the same problem with my old case. The hot exhaust would literally create a "hot spot" around my desk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts