Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting one of these in a few days and was wondering... The VRM and Mosfet heatsinks are quite small for a 8+2 board... This doesnt mean it doesnt cool well Im just wondering as I want good temps, even if stock is already good. Is there any custom air heatsinks for this board or a universal set that fits all??

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720295&highlight=vrm

Look at the 2nd picture you can buy those brackets at micro center they normally have magnets at the end that connects to your case but they are horrible magnets so I removed them and mounted them with bolts.

Cooling your VRM can keyword can make a huge difference in your CPU temps on an AM3 board. That is if they are getting very hot. If you are using a high wattage CPU it will be worth cooling them.

If you have a low wattage CPU I doubt they will make any difference at all as I found with my Intel board.

On an unlocked 960T running ~4GHz on 6 cores cooling the VRMs made a big difference.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does a 95w FX6300 count as high? I will also have a rush to 5 GHz if I can, will the board handle it (Lets not discuss cooling etc, just the board)

It has an 8+2 which is good but will it throttle back? Also im in UK so no microcenter, how will I be able to fit a fan there?

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
I doubt you'll ever have problems with throttling, maybe if you were using an 8 core but you should be good with the 6300.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, just for the record ambient temp is quite low here, We normally have highs of 19 in summer and highs of 10 most of the time, But in my house I say about 15 in day and 18 in night

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

^^ Are these ambient temps any good?
They're fine, I have similar temps cause I live in sunny Manchester
tongue.gif

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedroc1999 View Post

Does a 95w FX6300 count as high? I will also have a rush to 5 GHz if I can, will the board handle it (Lets not discuss cooling etc, just the board)

It has an 8+2 which is good but will it throttle back? Also im in UK so no microcenter, how will I be able to fit a fan there?
The 960T unlocked rated at 160w and then the 1.392v and 4GHz got it up there temps wise. At that kind of power draw I saw several degrees in cooling on the processor from reducing the VRM temps. On an intel board with a 77w processor running at 4.4GHz it did absolutely nothing to the processor temp.

So I wouldn't think it would do much for your. But if you have a way of measuring the vrm temps if they are hitting 90c then they are def adding temp to the cpu.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts