Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cumulative project for my CAM class is to make a little project. The teacher suggested something like a bottle opener or something, but I'm a little more ambitious. He has okayed me to machine a CPU water block instead.

I thought this would be a very good project for me, I'm in mechanical engineering technology in 2nd year, and I have already done fluid mechanics, and am currently doing thermo, so I thought it would be a good project to test my skills. I did 4 semesters of machine shop in high school, during which I did a few CNC projects already. I made a mountain bike brake disc in third semester using Mastercam X. I know in first semester there was a small project all kids had to do, completely using G-code, can't remember the project though. So, it's like getting back on a bike for me.

Now, the problem I have is that I have never owned a WC system, nor have I even seen one with my own eyes. I have perused them, but never really got into the nitty-gritty. However, in order to really design this thing to maximize its performance, I need to know the flowrate, pressure etc. But since I don't own a loop, I don't know any of this stuff.

So, my question is, what figures could I expect out of a mid-range loop. For now, just more or less build me a fantasy loop, minus waterblock. What would a mid-ranger cost? I'm thinking $150, but again, I have never bothered looking at the prices of the stuff.

For design, I am right now thinking of a LGA775 (are the hole location tolerances anywhere?) block, roughly square with two stubs off either end for the input and output. The cooling pad (the heatsink in the water) will be 1"x1" to 1.5"x1.5", and it will have a acrylic top, bolted down. I would like to use a bead gasket, do you order those in specific lengths or do you pour them to length? If the latter, I might go with a flat gasket.

Thanks for the help guys, really looking forward to some insight from the best computer geeks around

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
You should be able to pick up a midrange loop if you got used parts from OCN FS section. Id recommend 1/2" tubing, an mcr 220 (actually i saw one for sale in the FS today with free fans too) or Stealth gt 220 since they are quite cheap, and atleast a laing D4 if you can get your hands on one. Thats a very simple design as with most gpu block because they dont need much cooling. Id recommend looking at a few different block design and putting them all together. Look into the Ek supreme, OCZ Hydroflow, Apogee GT/GTX since they are not very complex designs, atleast the last two arn't

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not actually looking to build a loop, I'm looking for the best loop at a certain price point, so I can build the block to be optimized for that specific loop. I might buy it later, but for now, it's simply for design constraints.

edit: and it's a CPU block, GPU will be a pita due to all the levels the different components are on (ram). I'm keepin it simple, one surface only.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looking at the hall of block for some inspiration, is the D-tek whitewater any good? The fin design looks really basic and easy to mill. Would that with some waviness like the EK i mentioned and more and smaller channels do well? Or is the whitewater outdated and unable to keep up with modern processors?

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
This is another good thread to look through, kind of long but it has some good info in it about blocks.BlockHeads: The Thread

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
I've got one more question, why do some blocks have 3 holes? I understand it might be better to have the input over the ridges, but I don't think that's the case since I've seen a bunch on websites (by themselves) with 3 barbs.

Better flow through the block. I use a dual in res with triple nipple blocks, some Y there dual outs back together but I like a dual in res with them so I get max flow. Then like you said the center inlet is directly over the core so you get max turbulence right over it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k View Post
Better flow through the block. I use a dual in res with triple nipple blocks, some Y there dual outs back together but I like a dual in res with them so I get max flow. Then like you said the center inlet is directly over the core so you get max turbulence right over it.
Exactly !
You'd be defeating the whole purpose if you "Y"d the two outlets back together ahead of the reservoir. Less restriction and increased flow are key to a great block.

ps: Hi Ira !

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
CAD/CAM huh... been there, done that. just never had a physical product made... yet. Sent my designs to Magicool instead.

what software do you use? I used Siemens/Unigraphics NX6 in combination with Pro|ENGINEER Wildfire 4.

-First year Mechanical Engineering student.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by angrysasquatch View Post
Thanks for the info.
I've got another question: what size is the IHS on 775's? And just for curiosiy's sake, 1366?
Up... anybody? I'd rather not have to take my computer apart when it's working perfectly.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
The standard size for a CPU water block's base is 50x50mm, that will pretty well cover any IHS now and most likely for a while into the future.

You can make it whatever size you want of course just remember if you get it to big you can have interferance with the block mounting on some mobo's from various mobo components.

EDIT: Hey Joe...

1 - 20 of 97 Posts