·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
I have made a custom waterloop here is the schematic :
2 Radiators
- XSPC 360 with bitfenix spectre pro led in push
- Alphacool 240 neXxos monsta with Phobya G-Silent 12 2000rpm Black Silent Edition in push
Waterblocks
-EK 780 + EK backplate
-Phobya UC-1EXTREME
Tubing
- XSPC 16/10 mm 3/8 ID 5/8 OD
Pump
- Swiftech MCP350 with EK top
Reservoir
-Phobya balancer 250
FIttings
QDC3 fittings for GPU, EK compression fittings dor CPU, XSPC 4 way fitting and other barbed fittings
My system is this:
Gigabyte z87x-ud5h
i7-4770k OC 4.2GHz @ 1.285v
EVGA Gtx 780 classified
2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer blt8g3d1608dt2txrg
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
easonic 760w platinum

The problem is high temperature! I use Gpu-z and realtemp TI
At Idle i have
GPU 48°C
-VRM 46°C
CPU 33°C
At Full
CPU
- OCCT Linpack AVX 82°C
- AIDA64 stress test 69C°
GPU
AIDA64 stress test or EVGA Precision X test over 95°C! but VRM remains a 58°C What?Why?
I have mounted 4 times gpu WB so i think thermal paste stamp is ok
the liquid temperature is about 30°C
Whats the problem?
thank you in advance for your help
smile.gif

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uhm and where i have to put valve and temp probe if i move from there?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke4Eyes View Post

Uhm and where i have to put valve and temp probe if i move from there?
put the valve at the lowest point in your loop, in this case it looks like it will have to be right next to the pump or monsta rad, you also don't NEED a temp probe for the water, if you want to keep it put it on one of the extra holes on the monsta? I'm pretty sure that would work

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Its extremely unlikely to be anything flow rate related. Even the lowest flow rate imaginable for a loop like this would never cause temps like that.

With GPU temps that high at idle and load it can really only be a block contact problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

Its extremely unlikely to be anything flow rate related. Even the lowest flow rate imaginable for a loop like this would never cause temps like that.

With GPU temps that high at idle and load it can really only be a block contact problem.
But i have controlled many times and the thermal paste stamp seems correct.

What temperature are normal for GPU on water?

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Quote:

But i have controlled many times and the thermal paste stamp seems correct.

What temperature are normal for GPU on water?
About 8 - 20C above water temp at max load depending on what GPU it is. A picture of the loop would be helpful. You don't have the inlet and outlet of the GPU on the same side like in the diagram do you?

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts
My GPUs never gets more then 10c above water temp no matter what load it has, even when I was mining 24/7 on it. That is with a two overclocked 7970s on a single double rad that the whole thing is inside my case so it doesn't get fresh air, mostly backwash from my GTX480s.

GPU's have large dies compared to CPUs, and are easier to cool because of that since there is more area to pull the heat off of. If your GPU temps are a wide delta over your coolant temp, then the mount is most likely incorrect. 95c with 30c water screams bad mount - your coolant would be over 30c with a GPU at load unless it is not pulling the heat from it.

How much TIM are you using? It is very common to use too much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

You don't have the inlet and outlet of the GPU on the same side like in the diagram do you?
Yes in and out of gpu waterblock are in the same side , in the left. EK says "You can use any opening as an inlet/outlet port" .
Here you are some picture (it's a little mess sorry..
biggrin.gif
)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck View Post

How much TIM are you using? It is very common to use too much.
i can't quantify in words, but i put first Ek thermal paste and now arctic silver 5 in X shape with bit more in the center of the chip.

this was the picture of the previous mount :

"Sorry for double post i tought it will be automerged"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by korruptedkaos View Post

you have the gpu connected to the same port
rolleyes.gif

its what Jacksonfire suspected.
move one of your pipes to the second port on the gpu block.

you need to re-configure your loop properly

thumb.gif
But on EK manual says :You can use any opening as an inlet/outlet port so why it's a problem?
So i have to put one in the left and one in the right?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

But on EK manual says :You can use any opening as an inlet/outlet port so why it's a problem?
So i have to put one in the left and one in the right?
for a single GPU yeah? you must be misunderstanding what the manual is saying, it means for crossfire in parallel

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

for a single GPU yeah? you must be misunderstanding what the manual is saying, it means for crossfire in parallel
You say ? i mean this sp i have to put the fittings like the picture?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
yes

Quote:

Quote:

You say ? i mean this sp i have to put the fittings like the picture?
exactly, otherwise the water is literally flowing straight through hose to hose and not flowing through the block itself

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts
Quote:

you have the gpu connected to the same port
rolleyes.gif

its what Jacksonfire suspected.
move one of your pipes to the second port on the gpu block.

you need to re-configure your loop properly

thumb.gif
^ Lol this
thumb.gif

That is why your coolant temp is so low as well - the heat from the GPU is not making its way into your loop - but not because of a bad mount like usual, but because it is being bypassed.

·
Registered
688 Posts
As others have said, your coolant is simply bypassing the GPU block. You can install your inlet/outlet in any of the following configurations and it will work.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
Don't worry, others have made the same mistake before you. The wording of the instructions could be a little better but essentially two ports on the same side access the one opening. Water has to flow from one opening, through the block and exit the other opening. As it was the water simply bypasses the block. It's a little easier to see if you take the block apart or if it is transparent acrylic, but yeah, you aren't the first and won't be the last.
Your system will work just fine once you set it up correctly.

Good detail on your diagram, but a picture always helps with problems like these so we aren't just guessing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank you guys , i really appreciate your support.
I switched the QD3 on the right side of the gpu waterblock and now the temperature are normal
biggrin.gif

I have 43°c on full evga precision and the witcher 3 (maxed out with uber sampling) test and 38°C with aida64 stress test

i will do more test later and begin to overclock my gpu .
I think i have reached max OC for the cpu because with OCCT linpack i read 85°C at 1.285v
Do you have any other advice?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.