Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is This The Right Thread To Ask This Question?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
use tape on both sides of the lines to cut?
And What to cut with?

I AM Very new to this. My boss gave me some plexy gless from scraps and i want to make something, i need help???

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProcessorBeast09 View Post
use tape on both sides of the lines to cut?
And What to cut with?

I AM Very new to this. My boss gave me some plexy gless from scraps and i want to make something, i need help???
Yes, it'll help to keep it from chipping - and also keep everything a little cleaner. Plus you'll have an easier way to mark your lines.

Since you're working with scraps, feel free to test out a few different cuts using the various tools you've got laying around. You may find you like one or get a cleaner cut with one vs. another.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet thank you, well i will try it asap then move onto the next step, combining them, but that is for later, i shall post cut pics when i get to it

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, definitely tape it up, and keep it cool as noted by markt.

Tools like jigsaws and grinders will generate a lot of heat through friction. This will melt the acrylic along the cut and it will seal back up again after the blade passes by. Use a manual saw or a dremel to avoid this (at your own risk of course - a hand saw would probably screw up your plexi).

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
If the plastic in question has a protective-backing on both sides (fairly common) you won't need to tape the panel.

If you do tape the panel then I recommend using painters tape (generally blue in color).

Also, to add rigidity you may want to sandwich the panel between 2 plywood panels.

Here is a thread that might prove useful.

Good luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
IF its thin.. an X-Acto Knife may work. You didnt specify the thickness, but if its under .25in, then a razor should work. All you have to do, is score it a few times(8or so) per side, then place it along a straight flat corner of a table, and snap.. It works... It will be slightly rough, but that can always be sanded down(or melted)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts