Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
EA has admitted that the decline in both sales and quality of the Need for Speed franchise was its own fault - for overworking one of its studios.

EA's John Riccitiello declared that the firm sent Vancouver studio Black Box on a "death march" between 2004 and 2007 - when its team was expected to work "24 hours a day".

Black box created NFS titles including Most Wanted, Carbon and ProStreet in the period.

However, Riccitiello said there was better news coming from this year's NFS: Hot Pursuit - due for release on 360, PS3 and PC in November - as the publisher had now sorted out its previously gruelling work schedule.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=265540

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
They should redo NFS:UG2.

Combine it with the maps of MW, and give it the details of Shift.
Now there you have a fine game.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MeeMoo220 View Post
I'm still waiting on NFS : Underground 3..
I'm with you on that. NFS 4 & 6, Underground 1 & 2 were the best, they need to go back to that again.

But meh, funny how they're admitting they screwed up... Now i wanna see them admit to killing CnC in much the same manner

·
Registered
891 Posts
gooo Underground 3! im pretty sure thats all anyone wants.
i still play number 2 and prefer it over mw, carbon and prostreet.

i didnt mind shift actually, was much more on the sim side of things compared to the other nfs's but it was still a fun arcade

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Riccitiello has been great for EA. Since he took the helm the games have gone up in quality. EA is going up again and Activision is taking its place as gamers worst nightmare

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I actually enjoyed Carbon, but the others listed weren't that great...

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

NFS:MW was actually a great game. Everything since has sucked. Shift was decent but it was a sim and not an arcade.

this. Underground 2 / MW were the last great NFSes IMO.lots of people i know didn't like Carbon quite as much, and Prostreet/Underground were bad. like, really really bad.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Carbon had very bad cop chases and was set at constant night time as far as I remember. Only thing it brought to the table was new high end super cars to be used in the series repeatedly.

ProStreet was just crap. Not one thing about that game did I like.

Undercover was my first and worst PC game that I actually bought
. I hadn't read anything about the game and just bought it based on the franchise name.

Shoulda spent those $40 on silent pr0n. Prolly woulda had more fun with it.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
nfs ug 1 = 14 hours
nfs ug 2 = 30 hours
nfs mw = 25 hours
nfscarbon = 4 hours

shift and prostreet dont count coz they suck
undercover isnt too bad but is quite a clone of mw

·
MEGABYTE ME
2,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigpoppaFrary View Post
Need for speed hot pursuit for PS1 was the best in the series hands down...ever
Agreed 100% +Rep

• Rep+
Reactions: BigpoppaFrary

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Quote:

NFS:MW was actually a great game. Everything since has sucked. Shift was decent but it was a sim and not an arcade.

Really? I thought MW sucked and Carbon was even worse. I haven't cared for any NFS game since Underground 2.

·
Spaghetti
1,130 Posts
It's good to know that these companies have been treating their workers with respect!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I really liked (PS1)Hot Pursuit, (PS2)Underground, and (PC)Porsche Unleashed. I didn't like Underground 2. I like Most Wanted alot, but when they did Carbon I was still enjoying Most Wanted and Carbon looked really werid. I guess thats why Grid and Split/Second are so cool.

NFS really needs to put out a poshiled game for me to buy it. And since they are going to be putting out a Shift2, Hot Pursuit, and Nitro-X games I don't plan on buying any of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Need_for_Speed#Future

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buris View Post
It's good to know that these companies have been treating their workers with respect!
It's up to the worker to refuse that kind of treatment. I would be out of there in a heart beat.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scaz View Post
It's up to the worker to refuse that kind of treatment. I would be out of there in a heart beat.
because its so easy to find a job in the game developing market, esp when most studios are owned by large publishers and you will still receive the same treatment there that you did somewhere else.

That doesnt make it any more right to do these things, but unfortunately it is how things do go down and there isnt much the little guys can do about it.

Look at what happen at Infinity ward. Had the heads not formed their own studio and had jobs available for those that also left, we wouldnt have seen nearly as many, if any at all that would have left.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts