Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
EA has announced that its Origin digital download platform is expanding to offer PC games from 11 new publishing partners.

They are Trion Worlds, Robot Entertainment CD Projekt RED, Freebird Games, Recoil Games, Autumn Games, 1C Company, inXile entertainment, Paradox Interactive, Core Learning Ltd. and N3V Games.
Starting today, Trion's MMORPG Rift has been added to Origin for purchase and download, with more titles from EA's new partners set to be made available over the coming months.
Source

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hrmmmm, nice. I'd still like them to improve the interface a bit more though, they're taking their sweet time with it.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Amik Vase View Post

No thanks origin. I'm happy with steam and i want the minimum amount of money going to you.
I agree, I condone Console ports that have problems, Web Server Browsers and Glitchy software, I still like BF3 though..

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8800Gamer View Post

THIS!!! EA HAS AMAZING TECH SUPPORT.
Steam doesn't even try to help you.
I know EA support certainly was helpful for me and I was able to get my older retail game copies added to Origin (the only stipulation is that they must be under the email that they were register under...so I have like three origin accounts now), but that is my only run in with them.

As far as Steam goes...yeah...I've contacted them about something twice. The first time I never got anything but an automated response and the second time I got an unhelpful email a few days later, but they followed up on my response to that correctly the very next day.

Though it isn't often you need to use support...I think both probably are capable of being good or bad as well. So I am not sure how much weight to put on this comparison

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Steam's support is terrible. Origin's is also terrible. That being said, I'm already invested quite a bit into Steam sans BF3.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lime View Post

Steam's support is terrible. Origin's is also terrible. That being said, I'm already invested quite a bit into Steam sans BF3.
Please elaborate on Steam.

·
Old and Crochity
5,268 Posts
I only have bf3 on origin. So far I prefer steam. Better interface more games etc etc.

If they hadnt made battlefield launch through a browser I might be more affable to it but Im just not. I'll stick with steam. If Origin starts selling decent games for 5 bucks like steam I might be willing to convert but thus far I do not see myself converting.

·
Premium Member
7,366 Posts
Not even 20 posts in this thread and nearly half the posts had to go. Guys, please keep it clean. Swearing in any form is not allowed. Also, calling others "children" or "babies" because there is a difference in opinions is very rude and disrespectful. It contributes negatively to the topic and is the exact reason why reasonable debates turn into flaming. Please remember that quoting such posts will also cause your post to be deleted, so if you see them, report them instead of replying.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Not surprising, this was bound to happen sooner or later with the direction Origin was heading.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Adding more Publishers titles to their platform doesn't make them any less of an Anti-Competitive business.

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
I'm quite surprised that other devs would support this considering that EA will likly give more advertisement to their own titles and they compete in ALL genres multiple times a year.

Steam advertises Valve titls more too but at least with Steam you know that they're coming out with only 1 game every 2 years on average.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Am I missing something. What is the value-add of adding something like the Rift MMO to Origin which has its own launcher, and everything you can buy directly from Trion? I never understood it for Steam, either.

·
Banned
4,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clear View Post

Am I missing something. What is the value-add of adding something like the Rift MMO to Origin which has its own launcher, and everything you can buy directly from Trion? I never understood it for Steam, either.
The benefit is tha they get exposure and have another store to sell their products in but the downside that Origin has is that they attract attention to a store that mainly sells games from a publisher that puts out MANY games yearly that are in direct competition. Why would a dev help a direct competitor? B/c they got a sweetheart deal or b/c they care more about the short term gain over long term losses

·
Premium Member
10,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post

Origin really isn't that bad. I've had nothing but pleasant experiences with their phone support.
Right but see, why did you need the support in the first place?
thinking.gif

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
whats funny is you can buy Rift For 4.99 if you look around and the next 2 games coming from Trion are F2P and the other publishers I don't even know who they are or any games they make.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As long as flagship EA titles like BF3 and Mass Effect 3 require Origin, it's here to stay. I don't mind it, although it is annoying that beta and alpha tests remain on your games page after the title launches, and the only way to get rid of them is to go through the hassle of contacting support.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts