Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Publisher Ubisoft has recalled the collector's edition of Silent Hunter 5: Battle Of The Atlantic in Germany, reportedly over the game's inclusion of "WWII symbols".

Apparently the localised version of Ubisoft Romania's submarine sim didn't have World War II symbols properly removed or edited in accordance with German law, according to German website ComputerBase.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=238933
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
Sorry Germany, just because you don't like swastikas doesn't mean The Third Reich never happened.

Why are people so "symbol" minded?
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Drizzt5

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,396 Posts
Lame :/

why get but hurt over the past... its done and dusted, forget about it.. and profit off it... sheeesh :/ (wait... my sentence dont sound right... ahh well im too tired)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
352 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jackeyjoe View Post
the governments of today

I think the German Government feel they need to make up for it still (which is honorable really), however the world has moved on and they really do not need to take these measures any more.

The Japanese on the other hand, they are still batting around the area of "What the hell was WW2 and we were never even involved"

They have a lot to account for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
Yes, here there still are lots of people who are scared to be proud to be German. Only recently have people started to forget the past and be proud of who they are. This was evident in the 2006 world cup in our own country. Much more people were with German flags than ever before.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,583 Posts
I'm still confused as why everyone thinks that the Third Reich was the only user of the Swastika? The swastika doesn't actually mean anything bad. It's from the sub-basin of Inida, and means good luck. I could go around putting swastika's on everything because IT MEANS GOOD LUCK.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,485 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by [Teh Root]
View Post

I'm still confused as why everyone thinks that the Third Reich was the only user of the Swastika? The swastika doesn't actually mean anything bad. It's from the sub-basin of Inida, and means good luck. I could go around putting swastika's on everything because IT MEANS GOOD LUCK.

Careful, watch what you say. They're listening.
 

·
OG
Joined
·
4,115 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by [Teh Root]
View Post

I'm still confused as why everyone thinks that the Third Reich was the only user of the Swastika? The swastika doesn't actually mean anything bad. It's from the sub-basin of Inida, and means good luck. I could go around putting swastika's on everything because IT MEANS GOOD LUCK.

Yeah, but then people would think you're some Hitler worshiper guy, resulting in them burning you with fire.
 

·
No desktop currently :(
Joined
·
2,134 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by [Teh Root]
View Post

I'm still confused as why everyone thinks that the Third Reich was the only user of the Swastika? The swastika doesn't actually mean anything bad. It's from the sub-basin of Inida, and means good luck. I could go around putting swastika's on everything because IT MEANS GOOD LUCK.

It was also an old Native American symbol that meant something positive before the Nat-zees got their grubby little paws on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by [Teh Root]
View Post

I'm still confused as why everyone thinks that the Third Reich was the only user of the Swastika? The swastika doesn't actually mean anything bad. It's from the sub-basin of Inida, and means good luck. I could go around putting swastika's on everything because IT MEANS GOOD LUCK.


Quote:


Originally Posted by The_0ctogon
View Post

It was also an old Native American symbol that meant something positive before the Nat-zees got their grubby little paws on it.


Quote:


Originally Posted by [Teh Root]
View Post

Swastika is not just made by the Third Reich.

I'm sure that if you made a video game dealing with the sub-basin of India and the spiritual activities that were undergone there, I'm sure that the German government would be more sympathetic to your wishes.

Fact is, it's a game about World War II from the point of view of someone on a U-Boat, and in that context the swastika was not a symbol of peace in any way. In different contexts, it might mean different things, but in that context it was certainly a symbol of the German Nazi Party. It should be noted that if it was a religious symbol, there would not be this trouble since religious symbols can not be banned in Germany and there are swastikas on Hindu temples in Germany without any trouble from the authorities.

Also, I'm not sure that this law was made to dick on game manufacturers, it was designed to stop people making games or websites that followed Nazi ideals, you know, those 'go-and-lynch-the-{insert minority here}' games that very sadly do still exist. Sadly, the far-right is still out there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,013 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GekzOverlord View Post
Lame :/

why get but hurt over the past... its done and dusted, forget about it.. and profit off it... sheeesh :/ (wait... my sentence dont sound right... ahh well im too tired)
Exactly, if you try to bury the past by not accepting it or wanting to hide it, it will just revive anger.
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top