Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Cryptic Studios has launched a new free-to-play model for planet-hopping MMO Star Trek Online.

CEO Jack Emmert said the new free-to-play focus is great for fans and casual gamers who were previously put off by the barriers of entry that paid subscriptions entailed.
"We couldn't be more excited," he said, "Anyone can download and play Star Trek Online at no cost. There's no better way to see how sitting in the captain's chair feels."

Originally released as a subscription-based MMO in 2010, the game will still feature a payment option of $15 a month, providing additional features such as more character slots and a bigger inventory.
Source

To boldly go where only subscription fees could take me before!

·
Registered
4,504 Posts
cool, i wanted to try out the game but there was no way i was going to spend 15 bucks a month to play, even after the 30 dollars i spent for the game.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
LOTRO is better by far, and its also F2P.

And if you earn enough "turbine points" and wait for sales, you never have to shell out RL cash for anything.

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Hmm, for free I may try it.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
That's cool, but overall I found the game to be meh when I played it for a few months. Wasn't bad, but wasn't that great either.

It seems like all these subscription based MMO's are going to a free-to-play + subscription for extras model these days.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
LMAO i already knew about this cuz i had a old account with STO and had EARLY access for FREE LOL. Star Wars may be next but not for another couple years. Unless i'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

LMAO i already knew about this cuz i had a old account with STO and had EARLY access for FREE LOL. Star Wars may be next but not for another couple years. Unless i'm wrong.
It has been predicted that StarWars: TOR will be the last fully subscription based MMO we will have...at least in the main stream. The Free to Play model has become more profitable than the subscription model. It's not really free to play...well, technically it is, but you will be handicapped or limited in what you can do in the game. If you are OK with the limitations...then it is free. however most people will pay the one time fee to access what they want and keep playing sub free.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
I tried the trial and I thought it was pretty fun. The ground combat is nothing special but the space combat is pretty cool. Not sure Id pay $30 for the game though.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post

I tried the trial and I thought it was pretty fun. The ground combat is nothing special but the space combat is pretty cool. Not sure Id pay $30 for the game though.
Waito, how's the aerial combat? Customizing spaceships, trading, and such? À la Eve?

If so, I might be REALLY interested! I love space-based MMOs
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
I generally end up spending more on F2P games than subscription games. Want some more inventory slots? $10! Want even more? Another $10! Want another character slot? $20!.

I still greatly prefer subscription. More content updates, no "hidden" fees. $15/month is ~1 hour of work a month. I think many people consume over $15 in food in a single day.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post

I generally end up spending more on F2P games than subscription games. Want some more inventory slots? $10! Want even more? Another $10! Want another character slot? $20!.
I still greatly prefer subscription. More content updates, no "hidden" fees. $15/month is ~1 hour of work a month. I think many people consume over $15 in food in a single day.
I never spent a single penny on any F2P game!!
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I did heh xD i was being stuid tho and kept entering the wrong username / password ... then i got to a link you account box and i had to clock cancel to continue xD

I enjoyed what littled i played of it. God th ground controls are wierd ...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.