Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
C downloads centre Steam appears to have removed Ubisoft titles Assassin's Creed 2 and Silent Hunter V from its service in the UK. CVG understands an objection to the DRM measures of both titles is the reason behind the decision.

AC2 was originally available to download here, while Silent Hunter V could be obtained here.

However, both game download pages now read 'Sorry! An error was encountered while processing your request: This item is currently unavailable in your region'

A PC games industry insider told us this morning: "It's the latest in the Ubisoft DRM blow-up. Steam doesn't want to lose its reputation for customer service, and these games have angered its user-base."
http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=239684

• Rep+
Reactions: praga

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
You feel that Ubisoft? That's your reputation going up in smoldering ashes set ablaze by the very people you rely on.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Are you saying that Valve, a company that is one of the computer gaming industry's golden children, refuses to be partisan to the train wreck that Ubisoft's DRM has become?

This is my surprise face ->

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Makes u wonder how there going to react with C&C4, as im sure C&C4 needs a similiar type of drm

steam is just becoming awesome by the day

they mentioned something about drm (cant remeber what it was) then followed up and actualy done something against other drm

its a good thing steam are covering there own backs and if this isnt a wake up call i dont know what is : /

out of respect for "uninformed" customers... what happends to people that have already bought the game via steam ?

·
News Junkie
8,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It looks like it is just the UK actually.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I wonder what Ubisoft is gonna say about that. They can QQ a bit about the customers, calling them pirates and whatnot, but when a reputable company like Valve dumps the titles using a certain type of DRM from Steam while explicitly stating it's because of the DRM, they can't exactly claim pirate...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Only UK? Darn. Ubisoft and EA's C&C4 deserves the same treatment here stateside - as long as current owners are still supported that is.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiresias
View Post

Are you saying that Valve, a company that is one of the computer gaming industry's golden children, refuses to be partisan to the train wreck that Ubisoft's DRM has become?

This is my surprise face ->

They are partisan. They've chosen the boycott side.

I wonder why they only did it in Europe. Differences in licensing agreements?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Hopefully this is the first move in Steam giving Ubi the boot worldwide. Of course C&C4 needs to be shown the door too.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDeodorant
View Post

They are partisan. They've chosen the boycott side.

I wonder why they only did it in Europe. Differences in licensing agreements?

The EU always feels like suing someone, I guess Valve wants to annoy Ubisoft before it becomes a costly legal issue. They will find something to sue someone with, privacy violation is a valid option.

j/k really, I have no idea.

EDIT: Although for now it's just the UK, but the news is still "fresh", who knows, by the end of this day we'll all live in anarchy.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenthos
View Post

The EU always feels like suing someone

Apperently you have never been to the USA before

Most sue-happy people in the world!

OT: This is great, we need more companys to fight this kind of "injustice"

~Whitepants

·