Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source

Quote:
Google put an extensions system for its Chrome browser into a beta channel on Tuesday and opened up a gallery featuring more than 300 extensions.

An extension system has been one of the most requested features for Chrome, said Google Chrome Software Engineers Erik Kay and Aaron Boodman in the Google Chromium blog.

"It's a tribute to Mozilla and the Firefox project that nowadays, users just expect all browsers to have built-in extensibility," they said. Google team members sought to build an extensions system that is easy to use, stable, more secure, and that would not slow down Chrome, the engineers said.

Extensions, they said, "are as easy to create as Web pages." The Google Chrome multiprocess architecture, meanwhile, has been used to keep extensions stable and safe, Kay and Boodman said.
http://www.chromeextensions.org/

^Get 'em while they're hot!

Now the best browser is even [email protected]! And for those of you who haven't tried it out yet, here's your chance.

*Please note that you need the latest Chrome Beta build to install them. Link here: http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/chrome/beta/ (Automatic installation.)

*They install much quicker and far easier than those of Firefox. It doesn't even require a restart... Just the click of one button.

*Some extensions I'd recommend are Woot! and Google Quick Scroll. I'd hold out on installing any adblock extension as of yet; they do not actually prevent ads from loading but simply hide them due to java restrictions.

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
Chrome now almost unilaterally beats out Firefox.

·
god loves ugly
4,212 Posts
I'm guessing Adblock functions similarly to NoScript, right? I just don't feel the same browsing with unsolicited flash/javascript
If so, I'm switching right now.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I'm going to hold off till the adblockers actually block ads instead of hide them, and possibly get a noscript thing going on there. Otherwise, Google Chrome just answered one of my many "I'll switch to this web browser IF" list. That being an addon system going. Next on my list is the feeling that something isn't going on behind my back, aka, IEsyndrome.

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts
I use chrome on my laptop, its a good browser, the extensions only make it better. I still have a lot of problems with some pages not working all the time (gmail goes down all the time in chrome) so until all the kinks are worked out I'll be using firefox on my main rig.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Eh these addons do not satisfy my needs yet.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
There've been extensions out for a while now, for the dev build of Chrome anyways.

The one I've found most useful was AdSweep (AdBlock equivalent), only sometimes it accidentally blocks Youtube videos.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
awesome, i love this
So far i love Facebook 1.0 and Gmail checker. Both are awesome, its so much easier to check my facebook page and now im alerted instantly when i get an email.

·
Banned
5,485 Posts
Until Chrome has Adblock Plus or something comparable and just as effective, I won't even consider switching. ABP is the reason why I keep firefox.

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
This is soooo old though. I have been using extensions with Google Chrome for months now...

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
This has brought me a little closer to trying Chrome. But I have 26 extensions and a really awesome glass theme in Firefox that I don't want to part with.

·
Z-80 > i9
17,244 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEC_42 View Post
Chrome now almost unilaterally beats out Firefox.
Apart from the fact Google watch what you look at and Mozilla don't?

inb4"You only have to worry if you're doing something illegal"

1 - 20 of 35 Posts