Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Overclocker
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If this weren’t so infuriating it’d be heartbreaking. According to multiple reports, Microsoft is pushing Windows 10 version 1803 onto PCs that are specifically set to bypass the upgrade until it’s declared fit for business use.

In Microsoft’s mixed-up world of update terminology (which has changed at least three times in the past year), “Semi-Annual Channel” – formerly “Current Branch for Business” – is supposed to delay upgrades until Microsoft determines that the new version of Win10 is fit for human consumption, or, presumably, paying business customers.

This comes on the heels of the original rollout three weeks ago, when those with the temerity to “Check for updates” were deemed seekers and treated to an upgrade with no option to stop it. It seems “Check” has a different meaning in Win10 update terminology.

It isn’t clear at this point if those being upgraded to 1803 have set their Diagnostic Data level to zero. We’ll keep you posted as we hear more.
Microsoft, of course, isn’t saying a word.

Bradley recommends that you use wushowhide to search and destroy the upgrade before it gets installed. Of course, you have to remember to run wushowhide prior to clicking the “Check for updates” button. Every. Single. Time.
Source

This is interesting that MS would do this. Can anyone else confirm that if you set updated to 365, etc that the pause icon is no longer available for the Update Status icon on the Update & Securities section if you delayed updating to 1803?? In the meantime don't click on "check for updates" if you deferred 1803.

Edit:
May 30, 2018
Microsoft Investigating Reports of Forced Windows 10 April 2018 Update Installs

“We are investigating”

Details aren’t yet available, but the company said it’s looking into this to determine what exactly happened. No specifics were provided though.
“We are aware of these reports and actively investigating this issue,” a Microsoft spokesperson told us.
The number of bugs discovered in Windows 10 April 2018 Update is growing every day, and Microsoft has until now been rather slow in fixing these. The next Patch Tuesday cycle takes place on June 12 when new Windows 10 cumulative updates are projected to land, and without a doubt, more fixes aimed at Windows 10 April 2018 Update are also expected.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,521 Posts

·
Laptop Enthusiast
9,289 Posts
Ever since Build 1709, I've had nothing but issues. USB 3.0 support is super glitchy and causes all sorts of UI problems on a daily basis. It's manageable... but it doesn't stop things from being annoying as all hell.

·
Registered
845 Posts
O&O makes similar software to kill the update tool. I thought Win 10 Pro allowed you to use group policy editor to effectively cripple the updater?... I'm still on W7 Ult. x64. I won't be giving it up until after the extended support period, and I suspect that despite MS's warnings, they'll likely extend it.

W10 in its current state is one of the few reasons I'm not terribly serious about a new workstation. Even slipstreaming USB drivers and whatnot into a custom W7 install disc doesn't mean you'll have a bug free/problem free install with newer hardware.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Since Win10 came out there have been installations happening without proper consent.

At least i've only had to fix the network stack on only one client machine from this update so far, several previous updates I had to fix a lot of machines that decided they no longer had network devices or didnt need half their settings anymore.

Good Job M$. Gold star for participation.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
a+
\48p[;`1=cf89mk qwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq kn

Edit: I was on this page and my ferret ran on the keyboard and typed out this message, then hit post somehow. Little rascals.

In any case, M$oft is just being stupid with this. So many of my clients get mad about these "feature" updates....

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
Yeah pretty funny 1709 is supposed to be supported for another year or so someone said
I laughed and said yeah wouldn't be the first time MS changed EOL policy :)

Either way most the newer updates for 1709 pretty much borked performance on it to where 1803 is a little better and worse in other respects
But isn't that 10 in a nutshell one step forward and 2-3 steps backwards :D

No real loss win-7 rules anyway haven't updated it since December 2017
All updates for it in 2018 are all garbage.

·
Watercooled
872 Posts
This week in my job docents of clients comes with problems on their PCs due that update.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
I'm quite the anomoly. Here I am thinking I fixed Win10 to have updates work properly and yet I can't seem to get updates to install at all. They just download, go to status pending, then after an hour, say they need to download again, download, go to status pending. Guess I'm lucky that Win10 has such a horrible update system it fails all the time. If it wasn't for the damn OEMs and hardware companies being idiots and making Linux support lower than an afterthought I'd be using Linux instead on this laptop. But because everyone else just bends over for M$ I have to now as well.

Seriously, people can complain all they want but we're on our 3rd year of Win10 and nothing has changed. Unless everyone drops MS completely we're all going to keep being screwed over. I honestly wish there was a law that prevented OEMs from selling computers with any OS installed. Maybe then we'd have some better support for Linux and maybe then MS would possibly get some pressure to actually respect consumers. Until then either the consumers need to make the hard choice and drop MS completely or they need to accept that they're responsible for giving MS the green light into being this bad.

·
Premium Member
8,230 Posts
a+
\48p[;`1=cf89mk qwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqwqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqq kn

Edit: I was on this page and my ferret ran on the keyboard and typed out this message, then hit post somehow. Little rascals.

In any case, M$oft is just being stupid with this. So many of my clients get mad about these "feature" updates....

LOL!

·
Graphics Junkie
2,512 Posts
I've updated both my PCs and had no issues. The update has way better support for HDR. Also extensions can be uses in private mode in edge now. Also it looks like you can now play two audio tracks on two different sources at the same time now, so gaming with headphone while a movie plays on the speakers with two screens and one computer.

·
Overclocker in training
13,920 Posts
Hi,
Like most things win-10 MS looking for more victims from build installs it's called making windows better if you want too or not lol :thumb:

·
Senior Overclocker
4,998 Posts
I have updated to 1803 and I have to admit it just runs flawlessly. Have not had any issue so far, everything runs butter smooth. No software issues, no glitches or stutters in anything, it just works. From my POV, update away guys!

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
a+

Could that ferret also be the one who designed these updates?

Seriously, people can complain all they want but we're on our 3rd year of Win10 and nothing has changed. Unless everyone drops MS completely we're all going to keep being screwed over. I honestly wish there was a law that prevented OEMs from selling computers with any OS installed. Maybe then we'd have some better support for Linux and maybe then MS would possibly get some pressure to actually respect consumers. Until then either the consumers need to make the hard choice and drop MS completely or they need to accept that they're responsible for giving MS the green light into being this bad.
We have laws in the US already. Just having the laws isn't enough. We have to see that they are enforced. Microsoft has a monopoly. We are living in the age of tech giant monopolies and we are all paying for it.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
This is how I stopped windows 10 from updating whenever a new update is released: I disabled updates through the control panel and set the wifi connection to metered. Sometimes, it appears that Windows 10 will disregard your preferences and still update. After the update, Windows will want to apply the update by requiring you to restart your computer or goes ahead and applies it when you press the shut down button. When you either restart or shut down, Windows goes ahead and starts the process of applying the update; at this point you see a screen that says "do not turn off your computer". Well, I did the opposite; I turned off the laptop the second Windows started applying the downloaded update. Even though this laptop is not my main computer, I still use it occasionally. Having said that, I have not seen any problems arise from interrupting the updates from being applied. Ever since I started doing this four months ago, I have yet to see any problems occur. This is my solution to permanently forcing windows to never apply the updates. If you decide to do this, you are doing so at your own risk.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,512 Posts
The level of ignorant hate on Microsoft is too damn high. It's always the naysayers who are the most vocal.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts