Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was looking how to heat an electrolyte in order to study a sample with a microscope and I found about the Peltier modules. My problem is that I need an specific Peltier module. It has to be cylindrical.

Have anybody seen something like that? I have been surfing and trying to gather information, but I could not find a supplier.

I am open to suggestions.

wink.gif

·
Overclock Failed...
13,565 Posts
Sounds to me like a Peltier is kind of a backhanded way to heat something. You have to cool something to make heat. Peltiers are designed for cooling. You add energy (electricity) and they get cold. The heat is just a byproduct.that you have to deal with.

What not just a heater? How hot, maybe you know how many watts you need?
A round heater would be much easier to locate that a round pelt.

How about one of those coffee cup coaster style heaters? Maybe on a rheostat to control the temp?

• Rep+
Reactions: toolmaker03

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
how about just doing it like it has been done for decades... wind a spool around object, add electricity.. spool gets hot... this is how a toaster, a watercooker, almost any heating element works

Or, if you want to be more fancy and play with magnetic fields... try induction heating, then you can set ice aflame
smile.gif

·
Banned
3,726 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
you won't find an off the shelf cylindrical peltier, but you can improvise by machining a cube of aluminium with a cylindrical hole in the center, attach 4 standard tecs to the 4 flat faces of the cube with the cold sides facing in and attach a heatsink to the hotside of the tecs and use screws into the alu cube to clamp down, try to thermally isolate the screws from the heatsink.

EDITED: to remove ideas re heating the cube as OP wants to cool the inside face.

·
Premium Member
14,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fego View Post

I'm looking for a cylindrical Peltier where the outside gets hot and the inside cool.
Does it exist?
You could make an arrangement where four long rectangular elements form a square, the inside is in contact with a conductive tube and the outside is in contact with a machined piece with the cube being on the faces adjacent to the peltier elements and the outside being cylindrical... But that will be quite a thing to get machined, and not cheap.

Arrangement such as:

Center orange piece is the square with a circular center bore to be machined, outer orange piece is the tube with a square center bore to fit the outside of the peltiers.

All in all, not cheap to make and you're probably better off with a traditional heater unless you do need the cool bit to be down the center for some reason.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
maybe wrap some nichrome wires around it and run a small current over the wires.

its basically the stuff inside heater elements

1 - 8 of 8 Posts