Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I was wondering if any of you know how to turn off some or all of the wired ports on the back of the router? Also, does anyone lnow how to block msn messenger at the router level? Thanks all, I'm kind of a network noob
and my Dad needs to know

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Not sure how to do the router firewall thing. I'm still trying to figure out how to set it up on my 624.

You shouldn't have to turn off the ports on the back of the router, because, if there are no CAT5 cables installed in any of them, they aren't on.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya I know, but my Dad wants to be able to shut them off at the router level so he can cut the internet to certian computers w/o it being as easy as pluging it back in to fix it.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
Well, the only thing that I can think of that he can do is limit the amount of IPs the router can assign. I'm not sure if the DI-524 menu is the same as the 624 but under the Home tab, select DHCP on the right, and limit the number of available IPs to be assigned to however many PCs you want to be connected. I'm not positive if this will work, but it's worth a shot I guess.

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Under the "Advanced" tab, select "Filters". On the computers that you wish to restrict access determine the MAC address (cmd prompt ipconfig /all) and add that in as a denied access. Regardless of port or IP that network card will not be able to use the network.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great idea, that should work. Any ideas on filtering msn msg at the router?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjlietz

Great idea, that should work. Any ideas on filtering msn msg at the router?

Find out what port msn uses and block that port in the filters section. Some routers even have certain ports preconfigured and labled. Like on mine I believe it has msn messenger labled and the port range it uses. I can just uncheck one box to disable it if I want to.

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does any one know what port MSN uses, or can you tell me how to find out? Thanks again all.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It is extremely difficult to block instant messenger programs. They all use their "standard ports" (like 1863 for MSN, 5050 for YM, etc), but once you block the standard IM port, they will try to connect on common ports (like 80, 21, etc). You can select "I'm behind a firewall" on Yahoo messenger, and it will look like web traffic. Another way to block is to use URL blocking, or content filtering. This can be a pain because there are usually several servers you need to block, and it's hard to find them all. The only real way to block IM is to purchase an enterprise class firewall that does REAL application layer filtering, and incorperates signature-based intrusion prevention. I'm using a Sonicwall at work, and it blocks all IM beautifully (we don't actually block our employees, but I tested the feature thoroughly). It also cost us over $6,000...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts