Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an alphacool VPP655 single vario pump, but when filling the loop it cannot push the water through it at 1/5 setting, when I increase it to 2/5 it works, is it normal for D5 have trouble with such simple loop ?

It has 1xres (MMRS 300mm) 1x rad (alphacool monsta 560) 1x CPU (supremacy EVO) 1x GPU (EK 1080 block) 6x 90 degree fittings 3 pairs of QDC ( bitspower ), and a total of 14 total compression fittings.

I thought D5 is one of the best pumps to get, but strange seeing it struggling with such a simple loop, and 2/5 is the highest setting I can run it on since anything above that I can hear clearly and it`s a no go!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
As I understand D5 is the most "quiet" pump but not the best in "head pressure" I think the Laing DDC are better at the pressure thing but are louder. My DDC-1T does sound a bit (vibrations) in my new case. Need to find some way to dampen the vibrations it causes. (was not a problem in old case which was stuffed full off sound insulation mats)

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I understand D5 is the most "quiet" pump but not the best in "head pressure" I think the Laing DDC are better at the pressure thing but are louder. My DDC-1T does sound a bit (vibrations) in my new case. Need to find some way to dampen the vibrations it causes. (was not a problem in old case which was stuffed full off sound insulation mats)
Well if D5 is quiet then I am an astronaut

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are your temps ok running 2/5? As long as your temps are good, don't stress it. But yeah... all those QDC's are quite restrictive.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
When filling you need to have the pump at full speed. Setting 1 is very low pressure. Once the loop is filled there is much less pressure less to air pockets so the pump moves water far more efficiently.

You just need to speed up the pump to get everything properly bled out then you can turn down the pump if you desire. D5 pumps are normally pretty damn quiet at full speed so maybe your pump or mounting system needs attention.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No i usually do fill it on full speed, but I was curious howcome it wont push water through the loop at minimum setting, i mean it should take longer but the water should still make it through.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
No i usually do fill it on full speed, but I was curious howcome it wont push water through the loop at minimum setting, i mean it should take longer but the water should still make it through.
Pumps will handle more static pressure at high RPM. Flow rate isn't the only thing that decreases with RPM.

·
Registered
874 Posts

I take it you have the manual pump? I have the PWM variant, and in my particular use case the pump is silent at 3350RPM and quite loud below that unless I drop down to under 1500RPM. It's worth experimenting with your whole control range if possible. But yeah if you're building a custom loop, don't use QDCs if at all possible. All they are is a huge wasted restriction. The DDC has better head pressure across the operating range if you need it in a small loop, but D5's are primarily designed to push lots of flow through a large loop.

·
The IT guy...
395 Posts
I have an EK D5 PWM Pump/Res combo and at full speed (4800rpm) is almost completely silent!
I have to put my ear on it to hear the humm...

·
Overclocker in training
14,078 Posts
Hi,
Yeah I don't get the hyper osd noise stuff so many people have :/ :wheee:

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I don't understand how people can hear their pump over the case fans. I can turn my Gentle Typhoons to the minimum level and still not hear the pump, and I consider myself to have very good hearing.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Air pockets need a certain level of flow and pressure change to be moved from where they are stuck. A D5 at min speed creates less than 10% of max power.
Think of it like a hose pushing something along the ground. At high velocity the water stream moves the object easily. At low velocity the water trickle will not move it at all. Just like that air pockets have a certain static resistance to moving that must be overcome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts