Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I swapped to a d5 recently after always using ddcs. Anyway I got it setup atm on a bench rig and the thing sounds like its spitting rocks. It has plenty of waterflow its connected to the bottom of the reservoir with a 5mm male to male to adapter to the intake. I did not turn it on without the reservoir filled, Its brand new, I tested it the other day with just the reservoir to ensure it worked it did and did. It did not make this noise then.

The board is on top on of the bench, the pump is about level with the bottom of the board. The loop goes from the pump out to the first radiator (bottom) the top of that rad is connected to the top of the other rad, then from the bottom of that rad to the CPU then to gpus and back to reservoir.

Is it normal for a d5 to sound like that when its bleeding?

Edit: more info plus something I just found out.

The Pump is EK D5 X Top, what I just learned is that it doesn't make that noise unless the pump is at full speed, if its right on the 5 or less than it works fine but if it goes even a hair past the 5 it makes this noise

DazMode is saying its air in this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGsa8oD1bTw&feature=youtu.be&t=4m42s&ab_channel=DazMode

that is the sound, I guess it is air so that is good.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
I had this issue and ended up replacing it for another D5. Full speed gave me a strange grinding noise. Running below speed 5 stopped the noise.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

I had this issue and ended up replacing it for another D5. Full speed gave me a strange grinding noise. Running below speed 5 stopped the noise.
Did the other d5 fix it? I have gotten it to minimize the window at which it does it. I think Dazmode is right and that it is just air pockets, he said exactly what you did lol. That people send it back and want a replacement all the time but nothing is wrong with the pump its air bubbles.

There is probably a lot of air in my loop, I have been tilting it and such and alot of bubbles come up. It also seems the more bubbles I get out the quieter the sound is when it does happen.

for now I am going to keep bleeding it and see what happens if it stops in a few days then golden if not then I will RMA it.

·
Premium Member
4,140 Posts
It is always shocking to people how loud a pump with air in it can be.

When there is a real issue like the impeller bearing wears out and allows the impeller to contact the pump wall there is no mistaking it. Its gruesomely loud.
I had one go while I was in another room and I genuinely though the rig was tearing itself to pieces.

·
Umm, How Bout Noooooo.
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

It is always shocking to people how loud a pump with air in it can be.

When there is a real issue like the impeller bearing wears out and allows the impeller to contact the pump wall there is no mistaking it. Its gruesomely loud.
I had one go while I was in another room and I genuinely though the rig was tearing itself to pieces.
It wasn't how loud it was per say it was the type of sound, It sounded bad like grinding a clutch bad, just a bad sound
smile.gif
. I had never had a pump make that sound, I had never had a D5 either though. I am sick of DDCs reliability even with heat sinks they burn up after a year or two and everyone always going on about D5s. Figured it was time to switch over, then was really scared that a brand new D5 was already failing lol.

I got it to stop making the sound and start making it twice actually. I had got it bleed and to stop, then I found out that Tygon A60 (another first for me) doesn't like zipties but it loves my compression's. The few places I used barbs and zipties were leaking so I swapped all but 2 for compression's (didn't have 90s for the 2 remaining) I used worm clamps on the last 2 and problem solved.

Got to say I love this Tygon stuff, I had seen a 50ft roll on some website cheap (145 dollars) but didn't know if I would like it so I bought 6 feet from Sidewinders (that was 50 dollars after shipping lol), I am going to try to find that roll now lol. I mean it kinks a little easier than my primochill (both are thick wall 1/2 by 3/4) but I use fittings for pretty straight runs anyway and where I do not its a long radius bend. For no plasticizer, longer lifespan, and awesome looking tube its worth the price. Just has a learning curve as in my experience worm clamps cause leaks and zip ties are good with harder tubing but with this rubbery stuff its reversed.

Anyway I got as much air out as possible before going to bed and this morning turned it up to max and it isn't making that sound.
smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts