Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i recently got the D915PBL board from intel with their 550 3.4ghz P4 and Xp pro. My question is does this board support ddr? or is it only ddr2? I cant afford ddr2 so what would the performance be with regualr ddr on a ddr2 board like this. Someone told me that it will work just not very well, is this true.

Next is, what kind of pci-e card would you reccomend, the 6800 im guessing or should i just wait for somthing else.

Finally, should i just sell off all this stuff (purchased through retail edge for 200 bones so i could make some good money) and keep my overclocked 3.0 on my abit. With the money i make, i could buy a new video card. Just unsure what to do, wether its worth keeping the intel board and buying new parts (memory?? and gpu) or just keeping my existing setup and possibbly buying a new gpu down the line. Are their any exciting deals on 6800's i should know about that may be worth while.

Sorry for all the questions, any info would be awesome, thanks

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
I would keep your current setup and upgrade the videocard... a motherboard really isnt gonna make much difference since you have a very good setup as it is... On the other hand, jumping to a 6 series card is gonna show a huge performance increase over that 9800pro.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silum
what about ddr1 support if i were to go with the new setup?

also, anyone interested in my old hardware?
anyone?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:

Hey, i recently got the D915PBL board from intel with their 550 3.4ghz P4 and Xp pro. My question is does this board support ddr? or is it only ddr2? I cant afford ddr2 so what would the performance be with regualr ddr on a ddr2 board like this. Someone told me that it will work just not very well, is this true.
Hi, I am new here, so we'll see if I did this right or not.

Well, bad news about the D915PBL board, it only supports DDR2 memory.....PC2-4200 is stated to be it's MAX. However, www.newegg.com has the pretty good prices on the Kingston HyperX DDR2 memory. I picked up a gig for $285 after shipping. The latency is 3-3-3-10. They also have 512mb for $150. The board states that it'a MAX memory clock speed is 533 (PC2-4200), however, the board also comes with a little tweaking utility that allows you to overclock the memory to 667 (PC2-5400). I hope this helped out. I am still in the process of getting parts for my system, so I haven't had the chance to get my hands dirty with it yet. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Kevin

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nivatek
Hi, I am new here, so we'll see if I did this right or not.

Well, bad news about the D915PBL board, it only supports DDR2 memory.....PC2-4200 is stated to be it's MAX. However, www.newegg.com has the pretty good prices on the Kingston HyperX DDR2 memory. I picked up a gig for $285 after shipping. The latency is 3-3-3-10. They also have 512mb for $150. The board states that it'a MAX memory clock speed is 533 (PC2-4200), however, the board also comes with a little tweaking utility that allows you to overclock the memory to 667 (PC2-5400). I hope this helped out. I am still in the process of getting parts for my system, so I haven't had the chance to get my hands dirty with it yet. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Kevin
part of the retail edge program as well? welcome to the site btw, this place kicks ass so stick around

·
Registered
754 Posts
Quote:

part of the retail edge program as well? welcome to the site btw, this place kicks ass so stick around
I have a D915PBL as well, tell me if im wrong, but in the install section it says only DDR2 ram fits onto the slot, there is this divider in the middle of the slot that match DDR2 rams, DDR1 ram dont slide in. Thats from the D915PBL manual, if there are ways that im not aware of then my bad

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:

Thanks Silium, and yeah... I was going to build a 64 system, but the intel offer was too good to pass up. By the way, I am having a little problem of my own....I ordered Kingston Hyper-X DDR2 from newegg, and it claims to be 3-3-3-10 latency...but under the BIOS it only reads 4-4-4-12. Any ideas?
I think I am just going to end up getting a new mobo....not very happy with the intel board.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by nivatek

Thanks Silium, and yeah... I was going to build a 64 system, but the intel offer was too good to pass up. By the way, I am having a little problem of my own....I ordered Kingston Hyper-X DDR2 from newegg, and it claims to be 3-3-3-10 latency...but under the BIOS it only reads 4-4-4-12. Any ideas?
I think I am just going to end up getting a new mobo....not very happy with the intel board.

insteresting, the spd settings should set it where it needs to be. Maybe its rated for those timings but you have to manually set them.. can you do that with the d915 board? Intel boards arnt known for overclocking but timing adjustments should be possible, try changing from spd to maunal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey man I built my Beast sort of like you, buying part and pieces when I could, I have a Intel 875PBZ Motherboard and a Intel P4 3.2 CPU and bought them when they were the latest and greatest on the market, by the the time I put it all togather 2 bigger CPUs had come out and a better motherboard, but I'm happy with it to say the least, my advice is unless you need the money or just want the newest parts out is hand on to the stuff and biuld a monster, these folks on here helped me out with alot of answers, now it seems when I hit enter on the keyboard it will lave skid marks across the floor, take it easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts