Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 264 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mod Please Close This, My Dad Did not Agree

Hello.

So first off some facts. I am 16 years old, I've been playing shooters since I was 12. I have never gotten in a fight at school or anywhere else (excepting my brother when I was little, and some elementary school scuffles).

My father is very conservative and listens to Rush Limbaugh and such all the time, I live in a very Christian family. My Dad watches, and lets me watch, many R-rated war movies, so obviously I've seen the extent of violence, having also playing Gears of War, and many other violent games.

Anyhow at the beginning of last summer, he instituted a rule that I couldn't play shooting games, his reason that I was getting aggressive. It is my opinion that shooting games do not cause stress, they relieve them. I am a laid back person and do not get into the game enough to ever get mad, Runescape made me 10x madder than a shooting game ever has.

At the time when he disallowed me to play shooters I was playing Team Fortress 2 mainly, averaging about 5-6 hours/week, which really isn't that bad in my opinion. I was making mostly A's and a few B's at the time when he grounded me, I am in honors classes, etc. It is not school related.

So now, to his arguments of why I shouldn't play shooting games (PS he's never played a shooter, or any other modern video game, which makes me angry for reasons coming up.)
  • He says the Games Make me Aggressive
  • He says I spent too much time on them
  • He says its a devaluing of human life(I compared it to laser tag, he ignored my comment)
  • He says its desensitizing violence
  • He says there too much blood, but he obviously doesn't realize that a gamer doesn't even pay attention to that ( The only games I play at home are Call of Duty:World at War, TF2, BF2 )

Anyway, how would you guys go about arguing with him?

·
Banned
4,189 Posts
it's up to him entirely. Although, maybe explain that only matters to people who are not mentally.. normal. (if that's the word) (want to go around on a rampage after playing gta iv etc)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mth91 View Post
Don't. He pays your bills.
he doesn't have any bills, it's his bills, not his. that's how i look at it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Don't. He pays your bills.
Don't argue with him?

Good answer, but no.
I am not one of those kids who whines about random crap, and yells at their parents. I'm the kid who gets yelled at by his parents for random crap that isn't even bad, gets grounded for two weeks, and takes it without saying anything.

I also don't want people to tell me to tell my Dad to go screw himself, because I respect him.

My position is peaceful argument.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention I pay for everything I own, that includes computer, games, etc.
With my own money, no allowance in this family.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
My dad listens to Rush Limbaugh (me too
)

Tell him... There video games.. honestly. Parents these days...

Rush would let you play them.

If your dad wont let you play a video game, he is a bad conservative.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FSF-Foxhound View Post
can't you turn off blood in TF2?
Maybe, but he's still got that whole other list to stop me with.

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
I'll bet a lot of money could be saved if he wasn't living in his parents' house, therefore, they're his bills, getting paid for by his dad. Here's the rules: You live in the house, you follow the rules in the house.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Haha, this made me laugh. Your dad says you're getting more aggressive, you're 16 man, of course you're going to be more aggressive, you're a teenager, it happens. Just ignore him and play shooters, he cant hold you to the umbilical cord forever. Just show self independence and they will learn to respect it. Trust me, it works, coming from a 17 year old.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

I'll bet a lot of money could be saved if he wasn't living in his parents' house, therefore, they're his bills, getting paid for by his dad. Here's the rules: You live in the house, you follow the rules in the house.
So your position is to never question anything authority does?

And yes I realize he pays the bills, and I am thankful for it, but I pay for all my toys. Ex: Shooting games, which he let me buy, and then grounded me from(I've got several hundred sunk into them.)

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
You could attempt to show him studies that video games aren't any different to other violent media, but he doesn't sound like the type that cares about evidence or science. Since he is the boss, I would attempt bargaining. Offer to help out around the house more, keep a certain GPA or something similar in exchange for you having your video games back. Also discuss and agree on a reasonable amount of time per week you should be playing video games.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
since his main point is you becoming more aggressive after playing, try too make a deal with him. i guess try going down the route saying when you start too get frustrated or what not that you will put down the game and stop, you may think your laid back but i have found myself really snappy after a frustrating match.(and have it pointed out to me lol)

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Quote:

I concur. Just haul butt, make your money, get your own place, and make up your own rulez.

Quote:
* He says the Games Make me Aggressive
* He says I spent too much time on them
* He says its a devaluing of human life(I compared it to laser tag, he ignored my comment)
* He says its desensitizing violence
* He says there too much blood, but he obviously doesn't realize that a gamer doesn't even pay attention to that ( The only games I play at home are Call of Duty:World at War, TF2, BF2 )
I agree, games do make some aggressive, and its time consuming,

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
While I understand your dad's standpoint (and yours) I also lived ina very strict household where I couldnt play shooters for this reason. My father had a fit when he found me and a friend playing the original Wolfenstein. I found a lot of other games I liked that I could play, like the age of empires games, strategy games and the like... Sci-fi, etc. While it isnt the optimal thing for you, you might find another genre to enjoy for a while. You could also find some friends that play shooters on consoles and the like and play with them. I know it sucks, but a couple more years and you'll be in college, or out of the house, and you'll play whatever you want.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden911 View Post
I concur. Just haul butt, make your money, get your own place, and make up your own rulez.

I agree, games do make some aggressive, and its time consuming,
The aggression my Dad speaks of is more than likely related to when I began to get angry that I was 16 and was still required to run errands with my Mom/Dad instead of staying at the house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xdanisx View Post
Just play when he's not looking. "No dad, I'm just soing my homework"
Haha I tried that. Got a threat. Next time he catches me playing a shooter, my tower goes away for 2 months.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
for him to be critiscising fps games, he realy needs to actualy see them first hand or actualy play them, i dont know.. maybe if u talk to him sivalised, and reason with him to actualy watch you play a game and actualy observe what the games are like, and that especialy with online fps, the whole blood agression thing etc, is nothing ompared to the team work, communication etc that u do with people to achieve a certain goal. e.g. capture the intel on tf2, tf2 is just a hilarious game "Sandvich", in theory, u shouldnt be able to watch old war movies or well anything that can relate to agression like the news with the war etc

·
Registered
255 Posts
My strict mom allowed me to basically do whatever I wanted in the confines of the house and my friend's house because there were many more self destructive things that I could accomplish in the more shady parts of town.

Take up a dangerous hobby like skydiving or bungee jumping until he realizes that playing a point and click instant gratification game is a much safer alternative.

You don't HAVE to take up those hobbies, you could just remind him that kids your age have to indulge in some kind of attention grabbing activity that also entertains you.

1 - 20 of 264 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.