Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Old and Crochity
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
source

Quote:
The resulting material is expensive, and so is generally only used for high-performance applications, especially in the military.
Surmet Corporation in Massachusetts manufactures it under the brand name ALON for use in armoured windows, lenses for battlefield optics, and 'seeker domes', the clear round windows covering the sensors on missiles.
My favorite part is the video from Star Trek IV

"Computer? Hello Computer?" "Just use the keyboard" "Ahh the keyboard how quaint"

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalker7d7 View Post

Transparent heatsink?
biggrin.gif
Try, transparent phone.

·
Old and Crochity
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the possibilities really are endless

• Rep+
Reactions: speedysteve007

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post

How a transparent Audi?
biggrin.gif
nanoprobe wins! I was salivating at the BMW i8 show car with its windows for doors. Then they took them away
frown.gif
. I would LOVE a car with the kind of visibility that might offer.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post

How a transparent Audi?
biggrin.gif
No. It seems this material doesn't deform much, so in an impact if the car either shatters, cracks, or maintains it's form, you're screwed. Metal in car structures absorbs a ton of energy when it deforms. Something like transparent aluminum could get used for the roof and all the frame between the windows. Now that would indeed be a slick looking car.

But wow, this stuff is pretty sick. I'd like to know more about the properties. Since it's a ceramic it will be an insulator... meaning no transparent aluminum laptops, except for the lid.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterFred View Post

nanoprobe wins! I was salivating at the BMW i8 show car with its windows for doors. Then they took them away
frown.gif
. I would LOVE a car with the kind of visibility that might offer.
Take it even farther. Transparent engine block, transmission and rims.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Hopefully cars will use this for windows sometime soon. It would be great to not have to worry about rock chips anymore. As is I'm tempted to get a polymer window for my car (like most race cars have).

Also I can see this stuff being put on cell phones. The article says it's 85 percent as hard as sapphire, that's pretty scratch resistant, and on phones you aren't using huge amounts of material so the cost would be more manageable.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Main thing to consider is the difference between hardness and toughness. Glass is extremely hard... But extremely brittle. As a ceramic I imagine this alon is likely brittle as well.

·
Premium Member
4,512 Posts
All I saw that in vid was a 50 cal bullet making a headshot. What was I supposed to be looking at?

·
Old and Crochity
5,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there is another video above it that is from star trek 4 and its one of the funniest human/computer interactions I can think of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts