Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wouldn't call i7 mainstream just yet. Price tags for the memory+mobo+cpu is way more than most people will be willing to spend.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 9voltchicken View Post
Wouldn't call i7 mainstream just yet. Price tags for the memory+mobo+cpu is way more than most people will be willing to spend.
$300 processor + ~$250 motherboard + $100-$250 RAM (3x1GB-3x2GB budget DDR3 memory, since you're not going to be overclocking much anyway) is less than the flagship chip required for serious overclocking. Hell, I paid that much for my processor and RAM a few months after the Core 2 launch, and although I admittedly did not spend that much on a motherboard I would have if SLI/Crossfire options were better at the time, and there were more full-featured boards worth getting.

There's a difference between paying a fair amount for a new platform, and paying through the nose just for a processor. My E6600 is probably the best hardware investment I've ever made, but if I couldn't overclock it more than 200MHz or so I would not view it that way.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
awesome job finding these reviews. +rep
. While I'm definitely looking forward to picking myself up a core i7 processor, I won't be doing it anytime soon until the motherboard prices come down!

Anyone heard anything new about RAM voltages on the new x58 boards? I remember hearing that the voltages can only hit like 1.5v or something like that, which would make my G.Skill PC3 12800 which require 1.8v unusable..?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayvinAzn
View Post

$300 processor + ~$250 motherboard + $100-$250 RAM (3x1GB-3x2GB budget DDR3 memory, since you're not going to be overclocking much anyway) is less than the flagship chip required for serious overclocking. Hell, I paid that much for my processor and RAM a few months after the Core 2 launch, and although I admittedly did not spend that much on a motherboard I would have if SLI/Crossfire options were better at the time, and there were more full-featured boards worth getting.

There's a difference between paying a fair amount for a new platform, and paying through the nose just for a processor. My E6600 is probably the best hardware investment I've ever made, but if I couldn't overclock it more than 200MHz or so I would not view it that way.

yeah, that chp seems to be the poster boy of OC's. it's been very good and has held up well d=espite its age

that and the 8800GTX deserve some recognition for their staying power

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Dang, no extreme OC(the overspeed protection)? Looks like i will be skipping nehalem and X58 And go for P55 Instead(if it allows OC better) or mite jump ship to deneb if it allows for good OC and is similar to nelahem Clock to Clock

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^
View Post

yeah, that chp seems to be the poster boy of OC's. it's been very good and has held up well d=espite its age

that and the 8800GTX deserve some recognition for their staying power

Yeah, I wish I'd waited a few weeks on my build - I could have picked up an 8800GTS 640MB on my budget, although I would have had to sacrifice in a few areas.

·
PC Gamer
1,776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandon6199
View Post

I thought you were saying, " '12 Core' i7 Reviews"

lol me too i was like WTH intel released a 12 core CPU

lol but its just 12 reviews of the 8 core CPUs

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Extremely impressive in some applications, next to nothing in others. The applications not seeing improvement or seeing deprovement are probably Intel optimized (as most things are to begin with, but more so in these applications.)

The upside for AMD with Intel copying their concepts (which i'm not saying is a bad thing, CPU need to evolve and companies need to keep making them do so) is the optimization on Intel chips won't hurt them as much now.

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takendown2 View Post
Dang, no extreme OC(the overspeed protection)? Looks like i will be skipping nehalem and X58 And go for P55 Instead(if it allows OC better) or mite jump ship to deneb if it allows for good OC and is similar to nelahem Clock to Clock
AMD has a really good opertunity here, with Intel locking down OC options.
I really hope they get their act together and bring out something to blow Intel away.

(Please AMD, stop pushing x3, noone likes uneven numbers! People with OCD must hate you!)

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
At 2.66 ghz the 920 i7 beats a 3.2ghz core2. Thats pretty amazing. If overclocking to 3.8 is true then this is an amazing leap here. I would be fine with 3.2ghz as that speed probably more than doubles the performance of the Qx9770

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp View Post
In the DriverHeaven review they got the i7 920 to 3.8GHz on an Asus Rampage 2:
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews....=656&pageid=18
Can't wait to see how much that motherboard will cost.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist View Post

(Please AMD, stop pushing x3, noone likes uneven numbers! People with OCD must hate you!)
And Intel's tri-channel memory setup is even?

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RayvinAzn
View Post

So, no more easy overclocking for mainstream users. AMD...time to pounce.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Takendown2
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist
View Post

AMD has a really good opertunity here, with Intel locking down OC options.
I really hope they get their act together and bring out something to blow Intel away.

Why are you saying you can't overclock this? From what I understand you can still change the turbo multi to +1 and +2 and can still change the voltages and host clock. Just because you can't use a 30x multi like in the EE chip doesn't mean you can't oc.

I'm a bit confused as to why you're dismissing the OC options

·
Premium Member
7,187 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WBaS
View Post

Why are you saying you can't overclock this? From what I understand you can still change the turbo multi to +1 and +2 and can still change the voltages and host clock. Just because you can't use a 30x multi like in the EE chip doesn't mean you can't oc.

I'm a bit confused as to why you're dismissing the OC options

I'm not saying its not there, I'm simlply saying that it is wrong for Intel to cripple the potential by limiting options on the lower end models and giving their "extreme" cpus all the OC options.

Makes me want to buy an AMD cpu asap.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redmist
View Post

I'm not saying its not there, I'm simlply saying that it is wrong for Intel to cripple the potential by limiting options on the lower end models and giving their "extreme" cpus all the OC options.

Makes me want to buy an AMD cpu asap.

This has always been the case. The extreme editions have always had unlocked multipliers while the other versions have a multi cap. AMD is the same way. Their black edition chips are unlocked while the others are locked. I don't see what's different here.

EDIT: After reading an article on TomsHardware I've discovered that the actual OC limitations come in with the TDP limits. All the i7 chips have a TDP limit of 130 watts. If the chips hit this then they throttle down the clock speeds. This can of course be disappointing

·
Banned
11,459 Posts
Its a trend people

One year Intel has the cake, next year AMD has the cake.

It goes back and fourth, if it didn't we would get Microsoft. $400 for an OS that sucks on release date
(no bashing please, it was a lame joke, i know)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts