Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

Apple's pricey latest luxury offerings are showcasing poor graphical integrity

For only $2,799 you can buy yourself an entry level new 17" MacBook Pro. And according, to recent reports, your purchase may come with a complementary side of failing graphics.

The pricey new luxury MacBook, which debuted in January at Macworld, features both 9600M and 9400M NVIDIA mobile graphics cards. While Apple clearly thought this to be a clever design, offering both performance and power savings, by switching the 9600M on only in graphically intense situations, it appears to also be making the systems' graphics fail according to Engadget.

Numerous owners are reporting failing graphics, random green lines and artifacts on their displays. Monitoring the graphics cards, these users believe that they have traced the problem back to when the second card -- the 9600M -- turns on.

If the second card is indeed to blame, it’s still unclear who's at fault for the fiasco. NVIDIA last year was plagued with graphics problems, declaring nearly all its mobile GPUs to be defective and prone to overheating. Apple also has not been without notable quality concerns of late.

Regardless of who's to blame though, the situation makes for some very unhappy MacBook Pro owners. One can only hope the purchasers are able to warranty out their defective machines or at least hope for a firmware/driver update to solve the issues.

A picture taken of the artifacting occuring on one of the failing 17" MacBook Pro. It is unclear whether NVIDIA or Apple is to blame for the failure of the $2,799 laptop's graphics. (Source: Engadget)

source

Almost forgot about the failing GPUs with the round of flaming Nvidia has gotten over their renaming scheme... It's crazy how they were doing so well not too long ago and now it seems like someone (*cough AMD cough*) has placed a hex on them!

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Seems like NVIDIA is stuck in a "cycle of fail". We just went through another mass rebranding and are back to GPU failures.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's not good... that means that we're headed back for another round of renaming soon!!!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The last revision of MBP (the one with the low-power/high-power GPU...and the mono-aluminum frames) had a similar problem. Wooo. QA deserves a pat on the back.

·
Old School OCNer
1,905 Posts
But, wait Macs don't have problems. That's what they say on TV! LOL I'm glad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeUbi
View Post

Hahahaha, and you take your laptop to the Apple store and they hand you a new Macbook. No RMA bullcrap or shipping your stuff back in.

No they don't they hand you a referb.

·
Premium Member
11,334 Posts
You mean sometimes macs....DON'T...just work?

News to me man.

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
I'm pretty sure that this is related to Apple and not nVidia. Of course if the nVidia graphic cards are suffering from overheating or something, they'll deteroriate and since Apple seems more concerned about style and noise that they just put as few vents as possible and have fans that spin slowly so the laptop remains silent, at the cost of hardware "health".

·
Registered
993 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
I'm pretty sure that this is related to Apple and not nVidia. Of course if the nVidia graphic cards are suffering from overheating or something, they'll deteroriate and since Apple seems more concerned about style and noise that they just put as few vents as possible and have fans that spin slowly so the laptop remains silent, at the cost of hardware "health".
That is some interesting insight

·
Banned
2,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalKenny View Post
Oh my god, you people make it seem like PC's are a godsend. Both PC's and Mac have had their faults and defects. Jeez people, give it a rest.
it's more the ironic factor to me
just refer to the old mac commercials with pc having a cough or needing to go get fixed

·
Premium Member
8,953 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carl25 View Post
it's more the ironic factor to me
just refer to the old mac commercials with pc having a cough or needing to go get fixed
Wasn't that commercial showing how PC's get more viruses/spyware/malware than Macs do? I don't see how that relates to hardware defects. I do see what you're saying though, Apple can be a cocky company.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts