Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
40,439 Posts

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,645 Posts
The you go without. You're not entitled to having access to a cheap GPU, maybe you should of upgraded in those 7 years.
Not all of us can afford to upgrade with every series they release. I myself went from the GTX 970 to the RTX 2070 and ended up doing an entire new build also. six months after my card purchase,they released the "Super" variant.Was I supposed to buy a new card?Then buy ANOTHER when the 3070 released??:rolleyes:

·
Rig Advisor
3,230 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
40,439 Posts
I would be fine with a GTX 1050 Ti its better than nothing but i am not paying twice the price of a GTX 1050 Ti when it was new its a card from okt 2016
I would rather move the working GPU that i have between machines than be ripped off

As for you should have bought a new card sooner okey then are you going to buy me a new card every time a new one comes out?

I am not made out of money and like i said its AN OLD MACHINE! why would i be spending money on a X79 machine from 2012 when it works i did not plan to have the GTX 970 die the motherboard CPU and RAM are 2 years older and still work just fine

The X79 machine have seen extremely little use in the last 5 years it has been collecting dust more than anything the GTX 970 just died out of nowhere last time i tuned it on

I have 3 PC´s with the X79 being the oldest and thats one with no GPU the X99 and X570 machines both have working GPU´s and while the X99 machine only has a crappy GTX 1060 3 GB card it at least works

I would like to buy a a 6800 or 3070 and move the 2070 Super to the X99 machine and the 1060 to the X79 machine
Or maybe even buy a 3050 to replace the 1060 since the cooler is crap

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The 1050Ti is a Pascal part from 2016, how is anyone able to offer new 1050Ti's in 2021? Were they sitting in a warehouse for the past 4 years? To think I thought the price bounce on Pascal cards was bad back in 2018...

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,645 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
40,439 Posts
The 1050Ti is a Pascal part from 2016, how is anyone able to offer new 1050Ti's in 2021? Were they sitting in a warehouse for the past 4 years? To think I thought the price bounce on Pascal cards was bad back in 2018...
They are new not old stock they have started to re-manufacturer them to combat the GPU shortage but at higher prices so they can make a bigger profit

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
They are new not old stock they have started to re-manufacturer them to combat the GPU shortage but at higher prices so they can make a bigger profit
But instead of opening a production line for obsolete pascal GPU's why not just use that production line to make more ampere or even volta GPU's?

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,645 Posts
But instead of opening a production line for obsolete pascal GPU's why not just use that production line to make more ampere or even volta GPU's?
my guess is different memory,and different die thickness so the maker possibly has production room on that process,unlike the latest generation that's also on the same die as the latest amd cpu & gpu.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
my guess is different memory,and different die thickness so the maker possibly has production room on that process,unlike the latest generation that's also on the same die as the latest amd cpu & gpu.
It's strange that they would go back 2 or 3(?) gens to make Pascal parts. I say 3 gens because doesn't volta count as a gen?

On another note, if you ARE going to go back 2 or 3 gens to make Pascal parts why not make good ones, like say Titan Xp instead of low-end garbage?

·
Senior OCN Member
40,439 Posts
Pascal uses Samsung 14nm and TSMC 16nm so they are not opening any production they are re-using ones already in place unlike the newer architecture like Ampere that uses 7nm TSMC and 8nm Samsung production which has lower yields which means they end up with less chips than the older 16nm and 14nm which has higher yields

14nm and 16nm have far less demand now than 7nm and 8nm does so they might as well use it and like i said the yields are higher so they can make more chips
As for what you said why not make a Titan XP thats not going cost way more and why would they do that when they can just crank out a cheap GPU that will still make them money

You cant just open up a new production line it does not work like that and it takes time they cant just do it over night and the costs are huge so they are never going to open up more production unless they are damm sure they are going to recover the costs and if demand falls off when cryptocurrency crashes they are going to have far more production than demand and that will lead to what we saw with the GTX 1080 Ti tons of cards not being sold for years afterwards and they are NOT going to repeat that again

And no you cant use a 14nm or 16nm production line to make 7nm and 8nm it does not work like that either
And then there is the fact that Pascal uses GDDR5 VRAM which is cheaper and easier to make than GDDR6 VRAM which there is a shortage of

The shortage is a great thing for Nvidia Samsung and TSMC they are making tons of money so why would they try and change things they are here to make money and they dont give a damm of how many they scew over while doing it

We can complain all we want but nothing is going to change so if we want a GPU its either be ripped off by everyone under the sun from Nvidia to Newegg and every middleman or wait untill later this year towards the end of summer where it MIGHT get better

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
@Zabanya
That last paragraph was pretty depressing. Is the GPU shortage and resultant outrageous pricing structure something that is now permanently tied to the cryptocurrency mining industry?

·
Rig Advisor
3,230 Posts
@Zabanya
That last paragraph was pretty depressing. Is the GPU shortage and resultant outrageous pricing structure something that is now permanently tied to the cryptocurrency mining industry?
Yes and I have been saying it for quite some time now. Until ETH gets completely converted into 2.0 contracts and mining ceases to be a thing, this gouging will continue.

Honestly it looks to me like Nvidia bringing back Pascal cards is a gross misunderstanding of the demand they are facing which is strange. Those cards will not run AAA titles and have no longevity, which would make gamers not want them. They have less Vram than the ETH DAG, which means miners cant use them. I guess there is a massive demand for cards for 10 year olds who want to play roblox or minecraft all of a sudden.

• Rep+
Reactions: 8051

·
Rig Advisor
3,230 Posts
Thought this would give everyone a good laugh this morning. I usually search for cards on various sites in the mornings before work gets busy. Note it's listed as "The Sale Price".

Imagine literally paying 3800$ for your 3080.

• Rep+

·
Senior OCN Member
40,439 Posts
@Zabanya
Zabanya is the name of my rig not my user name lol

Another thing i forgot to add is COVID-19 also has a lot to do with prices since it causes delays and complications every single step of the way so untill it gets better or more get the vaccines its not going to get better

Like i said some time by late summer things might start to get better both because of the COVID-19 vaccines but also the production problems might be better and who knows maybe cryptocurrency has crashed which i would not be the least bit sad about

• Rep+

·
771on775 user,Complainer
1,645 Posts
It's strange that they would go back 2 or 3(?) gens to make Pascal parts. I say 3 gens because doesn't volta count as a gen?

On another note, if you ARE going to go back 2 or 3 gens to make Pascal parts why not make good ones, like say Titan Xp instead of low-end garbage?
The new crypto they're mining requires a card with MORE than 4GB of VRAM. part of the point of releasing the older cards is to avoid miners scooping them up. "NVIDIA has paired 12 GB GDDR5X memory with the TITAN Xp. " "NVIDIA has paired 4 GB GDDR5 memory with the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti." :) This way people will @ least have SOMETHING to replace a broken card with if they don't have onboard graphics as an option.

·
Rig Advisor
3,230 Posts
The new crypto they're mining requires a card with MORE than 4GB of VRAM. part of the point of releasing the older cards is to avoid miners scooping them up. "NVIDIA has paired 12 GB GDDR5X memory with the TITAN Xp. " "NVIDIA has paired 4 GB GDDR5 memory with the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti." :) This way people will @ least have SOMETHING to replace a broken card with if they don't have onboard graphics as an option.
I mean, I own 2 GT710's for that "Something" to replace a broken card. People aren't looking for video output so much as a relevant gaming card moving forward.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Zabanya is the name of my rig not my user name lol

Another thing i forgot to add is COVID-19 also has a lot to do with prices since it causes delays and complications every single step of the way so untill it gets better or more get the vaccines its not going to get better

Like i said some time by late summer things might start to get better both because of the COVID-19 vaccines but also the production problems might be better and who knows maybe cryptocurrency has crashed which i would not be the least bit sad about
Sorry Shilka, although Zabanya is a pretty cool user name.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,439 Posts
Sorry Shilka, although Zabanya is a pretty cool user name.
Its from Gundam 00
GN-010 Zabanya.jpg
GN-010 Zabanya Gundam Photo 4.jpg
Also you should read this

I think you can forget about getting any GPU in 2021 2022 seems more likely now
I think i am going to say screw it and leave the old X79 machine without a GPU i dont need 3 working PC´s anyway

I did spot that Proshop.dk has a lunch sale of the Asus 3060 Dual (non OC) at MRSP no less!
But they only have 230 of them so i think my chances off getting one is south of no way in hell but who knows i might beat the bots

21 - 40 of 42 Posts