Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i need help with a plan for my setup. Every month i will buy 1 (or more depending on price) piece of a DD(or better) water cooling setup, untill i have a complete setup. I have read about and seen DD setups in action, and in mpo, they rule. i need help choosing witch pieces to buy, and what order. Any one feel like advice giving?

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This isnt to up-to-date. the water block i am buying is the silver tdx. and all i want is chipset, cpu, pump, rad, and tubing.Hmm guess i only need help with tubing, fittings, and pump/rad.
Chipset
CPU
AS5 already have
so all i need now is tubin, a rad, and res, and pump.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Chipset watercooling is pointless unless your planning on going with a masive fsb(300+). It will add restriction to your flow and effect your temps in a negative way. As far as blocks go the storm g4, dd tdx, and swiftech apogee are all great blocks(perform within a few degrees of each other). Did you want all this in or outside your case? A heatercore is great way to go unless your concerned about looks and fitting everything inside your case. If not id suggest a 2x120 rad.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire

Well im on the verge of that 300+ fsb so why not? lol 40 bucks isnt to bad though. i have ALOT of room in my armor so im thinking inside for all but rad.

Money isn't the issue it's the restriction in your loop.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
don't get the silver TDX - get a swiftech storm block if you can find one - its cheaper and it performs better than the TDX in either silver or copper

another thing i would recommend against is cooling the chipset - it just adds restriction to the loop and provides basically no performance increase over having a decent heatsink on the chipset instead of a waterblock

but for restriction, you could run a dual pump setup (pumps in series), which is what i do with my Thermochill HE 120.3 > Storm G5 > DD ATI-X18 > DD Dual 5.25" Res. > 2x MCP-655/D5

also, check out the link in my sig for help choosing WC parts for your loop

·
SNERP!!!
4,183 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonMango

don't get the silver TDX - get a swiftech storm block if you can find one - its cheaper and it performs better than the TDX in either silver or copper

another thing i would recommend against is cooling the chipset - it just adds restriction to the loop and provides basically no performance increase over having a decent heatsink on the chipset instead of a waterblock

I agree

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
suggested lineup of parts from me:

CPU Block: Swiftech Storm (if you can find it) or Swiftech Apogee

GPU Block: Danger Den Maze4 w/ Acetal Top

Radiator: HW Labs Black Ice Extreme II dual pass

Pump: Danger Den D5/MCP-655

Tubing: 10ft Masterkleer 7/16" ID x 5/8" OD, 3/32" Wall Thickness (fits snugly over 1/2" barbs and is approx. the same ID as all the barbs in the system, thus an overall smoother path for the water to flow through)

Clamps: Stainless Steel worm drive hose clamps (7/8" or 1" max. ID)

-JR

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm so the silver tdx isnt worth the buy? thought a pure silver WB would have a higher thermal conduct and therfore displace more heat? not going to get a gpu block though, dont need it, my card isnt even worth it yet. although the thought of appling ramsinks does sound appealing. i could backorder a storm but who knows when i could get it. I know my boss has a few sellers who might be able to get there hands on one.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
the pure silver block has better heat conductivity than the copper block, but it still has the exact same design milled in it as the copper TDX's, so the performance increase is marginal, while with the storm, it uses the jet-impengement technology designed by Cathar himself, and has been proven to be the best technology for use with waterblocks so far, and the Swiftech Storm is hands down, the best production water block to date

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so far the setup is:
Swiftech storm g4 ordered
gonna go with Swiftech MCX159-CU Chipset Cooler -need
Danger Den DD12V-D5 Pump -need
Danger Den Single 5 1/4" Bay Reservoir-need
2x PrimoChill ICE - UV Red -need
1977 Bonneville Heatercore -need
Danger Den Acetal MAZE4 GPU-need
10' PrimoFlex Red Tubing - 1/2 inch -need
10' Swiftech Coolsleeves 500 (For 1/2in. OD Tubing) - UV Blue -need
now on to my next set of researching i will post again soon.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_Fire

Hmm what water block would fit on my graphics card, and if i upgrad to a 6800gt will it still work? or should i even worry about it right now.

If you get a maze 4 from DD(very good block) you can use it on your 6600 and 6800gt along with any newer 7 series.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts