Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am about to order the Xigmatek Dark Knight from Newegg, I just wanted to be 100% sure it will fit in my Armor with the side fan, I'm getting some conflicting reports about this. Measuring it myself makes it seem like it will, but an absolute"Yes" sure would help

Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I just re-measured and it seems REALLY close, enough to scare me. Anyone have a definitive answer for me?

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
I have a dark knight in a centurion 5 case. That's much thinner than the Armor cases. The Centurion 5 is 7.95" wide so minus the mobo, standoffs and the mobo tray itself, you're looking at about 5.5" and it fits.

I looked up the specs of the armor cases and they all look a little bigger than the Centurion. I assume the side fan is a 25mm thick fan? It should fit fine.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Yes. Without a doubt it will fit. The armor is a big case, i have yet to find something that wont fit in mine!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have an armor without the side fan with a tuniq 120 in it. It's a cm shorter than the Dark Knight, and it has a good bit of room left. Honestly, that massive side fan probably isn't helping too much with temps and you could probably stand to lose it for the sake of better CPU cooling. This is all assuming it doesn't fit with the fan on. Cheers!

P.S. where in LA are you located? LA Tech student here

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I'll go ahead and order, fingers crossed

Quote:

Originally Posted by champyg
View Post

I have an armor without the side fan with a tuniq 120 in it. It's a cm shorter than the Dark Knight, and it has a good bit of room left. Honestly, that massive side fan probably isn't helping too much with temps and you could probably stand to lose it for the sake of better CPU cooling. This is all assuming it doesn't fit with the fan on. Cheers!

P.S. where in LA are you located? LA Tech student here

Central, near Jena. I have several friends at Tech

Small world eh?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tis indeed. Hard to find anyone around here who knows how to use a computer right, let alone someone who builds or mods them

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by champyg
View Post

Tis indeed. Hard to find anyone around here who knows how to use a computer right, let alone someone who builds or mods them

Heh, given our region
I'm pretty new myself, Learning something new every day. Worst part is going through the trouble to build sweet rigs and having no-one to show off too lol

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just got my Dark Knight in, I ordered a second fan exactly like the one it comes with from Xigmatek. Only problem is, I dont see a way of setting it up for push-pull. The second fan had none of the rubber connectors that the original has, anyone found a way to do this? Also, I'm new to this, so where exactly would I plug in my 2nd fan anyway?
Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
Can't comment on the push/pull question, but as far as hooking your fan up...that will depend on the connector type. If it is a 3-pin, you can put in on one of the 3-pin headers on your motherboard, hook it up to a fan controller if you have one, or put a 3-pin to 4-pin adapter and hook it up to your power supply. No option will offer better or worse performance. It's all how you want to manage your cables. I'll see if I can find anything about the Dark Knight if nobody beats me to it.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
As far as mounting your two fans for a push pull set up, use zip-ties ( black ones ) they work really good at keeping thm in place.

As far as running the fans in P/P use a fan cable splitter and connect it to the cpu header or your can run the fans off of a fan controller which would be my first choice.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Also, never used one myself so I can't say for sure, but it seems the general consensus on that cooler is that you will see vary small, if any, improvement in temperatures with push/pull over just one fan. But if you have another fan already, throwing an extra on surely couldn't hurt

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by champyg View Post
Also, never used one myself so I can't say for sure, but it seems the general consensus on that cooler is that you will see vary small, if any, improvement in temperatures with push/pull over just one fan. But if you have another fan already, throwing an extra on surely couldn't hurt

Yeah, Ive came to the conlusion that push/pull wont have much difference for me. Just going to set the fan up in the bottum of my case for now. Had the issue I was afraid of going in, the side fan hits the heatsink. Trimmed the fan back a little so I can close it now, but I still dont like it being so close, will likely trim some more when I have more time. So far seen about a 12C drop at full load

·
Intel/Nvidia
3,445 Posts
That's really good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jealousmango View Post
Yeah, Ive came to the conlusion that push/pull wont have much difference for me. Just going to set the fan up in the bottum of my case for now. Had the issue I was afraid of going in, the side fan hits the heatsink. Trimmed the fan back a little so I can close it now, but I still dont like it being so close, will likely trim some more when I have more time. So far seen about a 12C drop at full load

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Zipties definitely!
You can use my system as an example:

The fans may move from side to side a bit but believe me, they're secure.
Due to the mounting clip getting in the way though, I had to mount my fans after I set the heatsink down on the CPU. This may be a bit tough for you.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jealousmango

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by xd_1771
View Post

Zipties definitely!
You can use my system as an example:

The fans may move from side to side a bit but believe me, they're secure.
Due to the mounting clip getting in the way though, I had to mount my fans after I set the heatsink down on the CPU. This may be a bit tough for you.

hm, I like that setup, may have to give that a shot. Yeah it probably would be a pain for me to get that in though, I had to reverse the fan that's on it now and my god, that was not fun lol. thanks for the advice guys

EDIT: xd- does it seem the push/pull setup helps much?

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jealousmango
View Post

hm, I like that setup, may have to give that a shot. Yeah it probably would be a pain for me to get that in though, I had to reverse the fan that's on it now and my god, that was not fun lol. thanks for the advice guys

EDIT: xd- does it seem the push/pull setup helps much?

To be honest, I have no idea, but with a load temp of just 47 degrees, I think it does

1 - 18 of 18 Posts