Overclock.net banner

Darkness, a Corsair 750D build (72TB)

14268 Views 61 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  janiirfan244
I mean who better than to keep my important data safe than Darkness?

Is there anything she is not willing to take for fun, I mean to protect her friends.

Also, I mean who else are you going to trust all your information to?

Yes for those wondering this is yet another character from konosuba as I felt it would be fun to have someone to go with Megumin and if we already got a system for the best girl we might as well have one for the second best as well.

Unlike my previous build I will not be going out of my way to make the actual build physically themed for Darkeness. It is just a server but at least I can have some fun with my Windows profile.

Onto the build!!

Specs:
Case: 750D Airflow​
CPU: RYZEN 3 1200​
M/B: X470 Taichi Ultimate​
RAM: 2x M391A1G43EB1-CPBQ (8GB ECC) (16GB ECC TOTAL)​
PSU: SSR-1000TR​
HBA Card: 2x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8​
HBA HT: 2x SLF-1 Ultra​
SSD Cache: 2x 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB (One on each of the separate underline drives/arrays in a duplication pool)​
GPU: ZOTAC ZT-71304-20L (PCIe x1)​
HDDs:
4x 10TB WD White Label (removed from elements external case)
2x 8TB Deskstars
2x 4TB Toshiba
2x 4TB Deskstars

All the drives are ones I already have. I am moving them from an existing computer over to the new one.

--The END of HW based RAID--
One of the big changes in this build from my old one is removing my HW based RAID 6 array and replacing it with a software based solution similar to RAID 10.

I will be using DrivePool and storage spaces to accomplish this. The 2tb drives will be split into two pools which are then pooled together. This is so that backups can be done on the underline 4tb pools so that in the event of data loss only the section containing data loss will require recovery instead of the entire resultant large pool. As you can see raid 0 is used in pairs of the 2tb drives for increased sequential performance. This same method will be applied to the 4tb drives in the future as more are added.

For instructions on how to setup storage spaces to use RAID 0 see: Darkness, a Corsair 750D build (48TB)

[2TB -- RAID 0 -- 2TB]_[2TB -- RAID 0 -- 2TB]
----MIRROR POOL---------->Unified Pool of Pools<---------MIRROR POOL-----
[2TB -- RAID 0 -- 2TB]_[2TB -- RAID 0 -- 2TB]

The wiring for the HDDs is very deliberate to ensure that drives that are mirrors are never on the same power line or sata controller. Drives that are in the same raid 0 array share the same controller and power line. This is to prevent something like an HBA failure resulting in data not being accessible.

You will see that I have also used primocache with two 970 EVOs as a cache. This is to improve write performance to the system. I had to use two of them as drivepool with real time duplication enabled has a 2x read/write penalty to the cache as it is only a single target. So if you use the same cache for both drives/pools that are being duplicated you will get 2 of everything dumped to it. Thus you need a separate cache for each part. You can see how the cache is split up in the image above.

---ECC RAM---
One of the reasons I went with Ryzen for this build was that I would be able to use ECC ram. Now while ECC ram is not a requirement it is a clear choice to help avoid possible data corruption on a file server. The problem is that I still at the time of my build had not found ANY documented case of someone using ECC ram with Windows and having it work. So although I knew there was ECC ram listed on the QVL for my motherboard I was taking a risk ordering it to find out once and for all if ECC ram does fully work today on windows. As you can see from the image below it does and you can read more about it here: Darkness, a Corsair 750D build (48TB)

--10gbe--
The reason I chose this motherboard (in addition to the 8 sata ports) was the support for 10gbe. My main rig already has support for 5gbe and I wanted to ensure that this build was future proof. I already have a switch that supports 1/2.5/5/10gbe so there was nothing holding me back. The read cache helps me take advantage of some of the benefits but over time as I add more RAID 0 drives and performance improves the 10gb connection will give me plenty of headroom.

--acronis true image--
I managed to get 3 copies of this for free during an amazing newegg special! (after rebate) I am using the program to create daily backups of my server and other computers. The backups of the server drive are stored only on non RAID 0 volumes as in the event of a disaster I need easy access to the files and pulling them from a simple mirror between two drives will be much easier as I would only need to pull a single drive from the system and grab the files. (or I could just download the file from backblaze in a short time). Thanks to compression the backups of the OS are around 13GB and I can even download that for a restore from backblaze in a few min. This makes recovering from most major disasters pretty easy. In the event of a motherboard failure I suppose I would need to rebuild my storage spaces if the new motherboard is very different but honestly I am not sure how easy the recovery process is for those.

This build is highly inspired by the 750D build that fg2chase did here: Ok... So who needs a 50-66TB server??
He has been a big help in planning this build and if you have not please check out his thread.
61 - 62 of 62 Posts
61 - 62 of 62 Posts