Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme vs Asus P8p67 onboard audio...using a optical out to 5.1 surround receiver....where am I going to get better quality?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicPC
View Post

Yes it is. Op, you better go with a dedicated soundcard for better SQ.

If he has the latest Realtek drivers, the Realtek provides better sound (at least according to the specs).

That Soundblaster puts out 24-bit (so does the Realtek) and goes up to 92khz (the Realtek goes up to 192khz). So, according to those specs, there wouldn't really be any difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Broseidon
View Post

If he has the latest Realtek drivers, the Realtek provides better sound (at least according to the specs).

That Soundblaster puts out 24-bit (so does the Realtek) and goes up to 92khz (the Realtek goes up to 192khz). So, according to those specs, there wouldn't really be any difference.

I cant get my system to output 192khz i just get silence when I set 192

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sLowEnd
View Post

Xtreme? Xtreme what?
Creative has numerous "Xtreme" cards.

XtremeAudio (This one is crappy), XtremeMusic, XtremeGamer...etc

Xtreme Audio. So basically is the consensus that at 9600hz im better off going with my realtek onboard?

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Specs mean nothing when it comes to onboard audio. It is almost always bad in comparison to a dedicated sound card.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cryfreedom66
View Post

Xtreme Audio. So basically is the consensus that at 9600hz im better off going with my realtek onboard?

I'm willing to bet the X-FI card will be better even though it is the lower-end XtremeAudio. If you have a little bit of time your best bet is to try both, it shouldn't take long to make a decision. 95% sure the dedicated card will be better.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have an ASUS P7P55D-E LX with VIA VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC and a SoundBlaster Xtreme Music. I can't speak for the Realtek but my Xtreme Music was noticeably better than the VIA.

·
Iconoclast
30,983 Posts
Quote:

View Post

This is the least relevant spec you could have quoted.

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zulli85
View Post

Specs mean nothing when it comes to onboard audio. It is almost always bad in comparison to a dedicated sound card.

I'm willing to bet the X-FI card will be better even though it is the lower-end XtremeAudio. If you have a little bit of time your best bet is to try both, it shouldn't take long to make a decision. 95% sure the dedicated card will be better.

The Xtremeaudio isn't really an X-Fi card. It's a rebranded low end Audigy.
That's why it doesn't even use the same drivers as the other X-Fi cards.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well after testing using avatar blu ray I honestly cannot tell the difference...there are too many variables (xfi features crystalizer, virtual surround, bass boost)....it seemed like oneboard sounded clearer but that could be because of the soundblasters enhancements...i just dont know!!

·
Banned
1,156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cryfreedom66
View Post

well after testing using avatar blu ray I honestly cannot tell the difference...there are too many variables (xfi features crystalizer, virtual surround, bass boost)....it seemed like oneboard sounded clearer but that could be because of the soundblasters enhancements...i just dont know!!

Yes it's because of the enhancements. Digital is digital, the point of using a sound card is if you're using the analog outputs or if your mobo doesn't have digital out and you want to run a digital signal to your receiver. If your mobo already has a digital output, a sound card is pointless. Any "enhancement" you're adding is software based and has nothing to do with the soundcard itself.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

This is the least relevant spec you could have quoted.

Any difference would be software related, not hardware. See here.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Go with the Dedicated sound card. I recently got me a used X-Fi XtremeGamer. I'd been using realtek for years and never knew what I was missing. It's like day and night.
Doesn't matter if it's a low end Audigy, it will still sound better than onboard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts