Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Problem: How to remotely reset a PC after it hard freezes. Wake on LAN wouldn't work, as the PC is still ON. You can't SSH into it because the PC is hung.

http://cablesaurus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15&products_id=43&zenid=d4is8uqptar3lu4p2eqisiqu83
This item allows one to connect a Cat5 cable to the power and reset switch. The cat5 cable is only used to relay the signal when a user presses the power or reset button on the other end.

If we connect the cat5 cable to a DD-WRT router and write a script to short two pins of the cat5 cable momentarily, we can remotely reboot the PC.

Is this even possible? If yes, would someone be interested in writing a script? I am willing to donate some money.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
How would the router know where to send the packet? Also, the +3.3v would kill ports.... and packets don't probably provide enough current to simulate a closed circuit.

This is just a cable extenstion for the plugs. It has nothing to do with networking.

You need something with an IP for routing to work. You would have to build a small computer (i.e. Raspberry Pi) to control a motor to short the PWR_ON jumprs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you know which port the cable is connected to, I would think one can tell it which port to send the packets to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts