Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Im new to water cooling and i have built a rig using and EKWB DDC pump.

I have a concern about the pump. When I assembled the loop I added a heat sink to the pump and i noticed the pump runs REALLY hot.

Is this normal? The pump is running at about 3.5k rpm, PWM on a moderate curve.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Lost in SoCal
466 Posts
I am no expert (so maybe someone will chime in), but my understanding is that DDC's pump their heat away from the water. So they run hot but the water stays cooler. D5 pumps put their heat in the water, but the pump unit itself stays cool.

Basically, from what I understand it's normal as long as it's not taking fingerprints off.

·
Invalid Media
2,109 Posts
I'm not sure what your definition of REALLY hot is, but you can always mount a fan nearby that blows onto the heat fins of a DDC pump if you're concerned. DDC pumps generally run a bit hotter overall (including compared to D5s, as DDCs put out a bit more max pressure / psi / bar, via a smaller diameter).

Somewhat related, DerBauer did a decent vid for CasekingTV (below) about both D5s and its smaller brother, the DDC...vid is in German though, but content such as comp tables probably don't need translation...he also mentions that DDC pumps run a bit hotter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I dont have an non contact thermometer but i imagine its in the 40 degree range at times...my fingers are not calibrated though so im probably very off.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
40 degrees is normal for that pump. If you want you could always get the heatsink for it, or least for the Swiftech version though should be compatible with all

·
Invalid Media
2,109 Posts
Thanks. I dont have an non contact thermometer but i imagine its in the 40 degree range at times...my fingers are not calibrated though so im probably very off.

...according the the above-linked vid, DDCs can even reach 50 C, w/o reliability issues. But as noted above, a fan nearby might get you some extra peace-of-mind...and being aware of higher temps in a component in your system is a good thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cool. im just really worried because this is my first water cooled build and it was not even close to cheap or easy.

I dont want to have to take it apart again....

·
Registered
829 Posts
When you added the heatsink, did you also install the thermal pads that's sandwich between the PCB and heatsink?

Im running my MCP35x at 3575 RPM (with a heatsink) and its warm at best.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
When you added the heatsink, did you also install the thermal pads that's sandwich between the PCB and heatsink?

Im running my MCP35x at 3575 RPM (with a heatsink) and its warm at best.

One pair of mine had them, one never came with any. With fans also installed the one with the pads was like 36 degrees and the one without was like 40-42. Haven’t measured it in awhile my probes broke.

·
Registered
829 Posts
DDC's are notorious for over heating and burning up their PCB's when there's no heatsink and/or no constant airflow on them when running mid-high RPM.

I suggest getting a thermal pad on the one w/o it, so you can prolong its life.

·
Premium Member
2,401 Posts
DDC's are notorious for over heating and burning up their PCB's when there's no heatsink and/or no constant airflow on them when running mid-high RPM.

Both have the heatsink and fans on them. Just one has no pads. I'll be talking them out of the loop in the next few months anyways

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,074 Posts

I suggest getting a D5, not having to worry about it, and saying "hey.....where did that noise go?". But, that's just me. I have never been a fan of DDCs.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I suggest getting a D5, not having to worry about it, and saying "hey.....where did that noise go?". But, that's just me. I have never been a fan of DDCs.

D5's a workhorse. I have 3 of them. But DDC's have their place. IF you need the pressure (which i do), as long as the DDC's (PWM variant at least) have active cooling and/or heatsink, they can last long as well as the D5's.

·
Invalid Media
2,109 Posts
I am also a fan of D5s and have 7 of them in use since '13/ no problems...I always rubber-mount them and cannot hear them at all at a setting of 70% or so. They also do not seem to have any heat issue at all, though they are near radiator fans.

It is worth pointing out though that because they have a larger diameter, they're more sensitive to pressure drops if there's still a bit of air in the loop, also per vid above (post #3)...however, using two D5s in series not only eliminates that (potential) issue and guarantees top-rated pressure, it also offers fail-over for productivity / work related builds - though I never had a D5 fail during normal operations. The sig-link build uses 2x 2 D5s (separate GPU and CPU loops), but I realize that dual pump set-ups are not for everyone. Also, this is not a knock on DDCs, I just have never used them for builds which are often work and/or work-and-play with at least 2 or more full-block GPUs.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I have used DDCs pumps for 10 years, two 10 watt early versions and currently a 18 watt DDC 3.2 and never got any heat out of any of them. The latest 3.2 came with the EK heatsink and I cannot feell any temp difference off of it even when it ran at full speed for the first few days, but it does have air blowing on it at all times and one of my 10watt versions ran without air flow sandwiched between a CDROM drive for 7 years with no issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts