Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello i just bought 8800 gts and because the bottleneck i whanted to by a new mobo and a new cpu. If i by a new mobo it will be ddr2 (i am 100% sure). But the problem is that i have ddr. And i dont have money to buy a new mobo+cpu+ram. So the question is can i use my ddr ram in my new ddr 2 mobo?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_ame_killer_2 View Post
Hello i just bought 8800 gts and because the bottleneck i whanted to by a new mobo and a new cpu. If i by a new mobo it will be ddr2 (i am 100% sure). But the problem is that i have ddr. And i dont have money to buy a new mobo+cpu+ram. So the question is can i use my ddr ram in my new ddr 2 mobo?

No you cannot. DDR is 184pin while DDR2 is 240pin. You will have to pick up some DDR2 ram or get a different mobo with DDR slots. I know they have a few mobo's that have DDR and DDR2 slots on them but you cant use them at the same time. Either one or the other.

Here is a link to one of the dual ram motherboards

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813127017

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
certainly not. You cannot fit a 184-pin DDR SDRAM into a 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM, doing so could burn your stick and your motherboard DDR2 slot, and anyway, you will not even be able to boot.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
There are some lga775 boards that have ddr and ddr2 slots, but then you only get 2 of each

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_ame_killer_2 View Post
But hey 2 of each is enought? Or? i mena 2x2 gb is 4 gb. Thats good.
You can only use 2 slots at a time. Only ddr or only ddr2.

·

29,532 Posts
Yes, but how many MCH's that has support for both, overclocks well?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There might be an adaptor, I don't know if the chipset could still handle DDR even if it has DDR2 slots, it might bipend on the mobo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts