Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I OC'd my CPU thre the Asus AI overclocking and it's at %10.

One thing I have noticed is that in the BIOS the ram shows up as 1066 but when the computer boots it reads DDR2 800 Guaged.

Is this right??

I'm using DDR2 4gb OCZ Fatality 1066..

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
From Newegg on your motherboard:

Quote:

*Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only.

Not exactly sure what that means.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Microsis
View Post

Interesting...

On Friday I got this AMD 7750 as an upgrade from my +4400..

When I ran the +4400 my ram only showed up as DDR800.

Now with the 7750 in the BIOS I see the ram as 1066.. So now I thought I support the 1066??

Does anybody know anything about this??

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile
View Post

Don't run dual channel if two DIMM's put in the same channel. If four DIMM's out of luck.

Ahh, that makes sense. One DIMM per channel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asus Mobile
View Post

Don't run dual channel if two DIMM's put in the same channel. If four DIMM's out of luck.

Ok now I'm not quite sure what your trying to tell me..

I have 2x2GB ram sticks both in the same colour slots on the MB

Are you saying take one place in the black paired slots and the other in the yellow paird slots?

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
I don't know your MoBo but yes try it. Or use CPU-Z does it say Dual Channel? If yes then change. Different color schemes so try one of those. If you want 1066 you can't have on different channels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
On the AM2 platform it can only handle up to 800mhz ram. Hence why your 4400+ it showed as 800mhz. But the new AM2+ can handle 800mhz ram OC'd to 1066mhz. BUT the catch is that it can only handle it if on dimm is used. (Dimm = same color slots on your mobo).

Example:
Ive got a 7750 and Ive got 8g ram, 4x2g. It says 1066mhz but it wont work. whay is that?
ANSWER - The AM2+ can ONLY handle 1066 if one bank of memory is used. If both banks are used then 1066 will not work. It will show and work as 800mhz. IF that person took the 2nd dimm bank out, then the one remaining pair would function as 1066.

Does that make any sense?? lol. im bad at this.

• Rep+
Reactions: Dopamin3

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Altimax98
View Post

On the AM2 platform it can only handle up to 800mhz ram. Hence why your 4400+ it showed as 800mhz. But the new AM2+ can handle 800mhz ram OC'd to 1066mhz. BUT the catch is that it can only handle it if on dimm is used. (Dimm = same color slots on your mobo).

Example:
Ive got a 7750 and Ive got 8g ram, 4x2g. It says 1066mhz but it wont work. whay is that?
ANSWER - The AM2+ can ONLY handle 1066 if one bank of memory is used. .

This should read if one memory slot per memory bank is used.

Quote:

If both banks are used then 1066 will not work. It will show and work as 800mhz. IF that person took the 2nd dimm bank out, then the one remaining pair would function as 1066.
Does that make any sense?? lol. im bad at this.

You can use both banks, but only one DIMM per bank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhatNugz
View Post

Ok now I'm not quite sure what your trying to tell me..

I have 2x2GB ram sticks both in the same colour slots on the MB

Are you saying take one place in the black paired slots and the other in the yellow paird slots?

No... to get 1066 on the M3N78. the two DIMMS need to be in the 2 yellow slots. The first yellow slot closest to the CPU is DIMM1 Bank A, the second yellow slot is DIMM 1 Bank B. Each bank represents a Memory Channel. You should have an option in BIOS to set Ganged vs. Unganged memory mode. The setting should be Unganged so that both memory controllers are used, each controller addressing one DIMM.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Microsis
View Post

Well if theres 4 dimm sockets theres 2 channels so his board can only support 2 chips at 1066 in dual channel as long as theres 2x2gb not 4x1gb itll be fine

Edit: Not dual channel 1x 1066 in channel "a" 1x 1066 in channel "b"

·
Climbin' in yo windows
1,826 Posts
Looks like we have the same motherboard. I got the M3N72-D from Asus paired with the AMD 7750 AM2+ CPU and Kingston HyperX 1066Mhz 2x2gb. I included some pics to show you what timings I used with the 1066Mhz setting. I, too, had trouble figuring it out in the beginning when the ram would only show up as 800Mhz. When I first set it to 1066, the timings went wayy high. Did your do that as well? I had to reel them back in to a respectable 5-5-5-18 at stock voltage (1.8v) I have successfully brought it down to 5-5-5-15 with 2.2v and it passed an hour of prime95, but then crashed GTAIV. I haven't figured out how to get the ram to work with the Asus built in overclock presets while the ram is at 1066. They work fine with preset OC setting while at 800Mhz though.

~Andrew

• Rep+
Reactions: PhatNugz

·
Registered
4 Posts
hei,you should know that all the ddr2-1066 are oc'd from ddr2-800,you need to change it yourself in the BIOS.both the speed and the volt.then you see it in CPU-Z,it will show you.....

·
Banned
3,467 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rootkit
View Post

嘿,我的头像去哪了?

"Hey, where has (is) my head"?

I lost my mind?

I hope you find as living without a head or a mind is very hard?

我希望你找到生活無頭或銘記很難?Very bad translation!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Man why do they have to make this so dam complicating?? I mean you buy 1066 ram install it and it should work.. but oh no!! it doesn't..
hows the average user supose to figure this out?? just seems mind boggling.. 0.o

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the exact same ram as well as 2x2 GB OCZ Platinum edition. I run the 9850 on the Gigabyte something (790GX chipset).

Anywhose, in the bios I had to set the memory at 2.1 V (OCZ speced anyway) and the memory multiplier to X5.33. On the post screen it now said 1066 Ganged. I have mine set to ganged because I read somewhere that the quad core will handle 8 GB better in 8 single channel modes rather than 4 dual channels.

p.s.- before I added the OCZ Platinum I ran the Fatal1ty series alone. I had the in the first to DIMM slots (same color on my board). I had the 2.1 V setting and the X5.33 multiplier and the post screen said 1066 unganged and cpu-z read the memory at 533 MHz (correct). My timings for those were 5-5-5-18 (standard for the Fatal1ty series)

pm me if you need more explaination cuz I'm on my way to class and need to cut short, apologies.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etra1n
View Post

I have the exact same ram as well as 2x2 GB OCZ Platinum edition. I run the 9850 on the Gigabyte something (790GX chipset).

On the post screen it now said 1066 Ganged. I have mine set to ganged because I read somewhere that the quad core will handle 8 GB better in 8 single channel modes rather than 4 dual channels.

Just to clarify... Ganged vs. Unganged. This setting has nothing to do with whether RAM is in Dual or Single channel mode. It is possible to have dual or single channel on either setting.

This setting defines the configuration for the 2 memory controllers in AMD CPUs.

Ganged mode combines the 2 -64bit controllers to create a 128bit connection to memory. On each CPU clock cycle, the 2 "ganged" controllers can either read/or write 128 bits of data from/to memory. Think of this as a 1 way street that changes directions as needed by the memory controller(s).

The Unganged setting allows the memory controllers to work independantly and creates 2- 64bit connections to memory. On each CPU clock cycle, each controller can either read or write 64bits of data to/from memory.
Each memory controller is assigned an independant memory bank, so as an easily understood example where you have 2 memory banks, memory controller 1 only reads and writes to memory bank0, memory controller 2 to bank1. Unlike "Ganged", this is a two way street where data can be passing in both directions during each clock cycle.

AMD says the Unganged mode is more efficient than Ganged mode, and many memory benchmarks prove this out. Do you actually see "real world" improvements? The jury is still out, and seems to be dependant on what applications you actually run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts