Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm building a core 2 duo rig in 2007, it's in my sys spec's dream pc, temp "dream rigged" with 2x512mb sticks TO START.

However, my PRIMARY question is this, (or questions...meh it expands, hehe).

1. I've been hearing more to get just 2gb's of ddr2 ram over the whole 4gb's. Why should I just go with 2gb's? Somethign about xp pro 64bit not like it? Or ????

2. Also "overall" best ram for OC'ing, but... (ddr2 - 800/pc6400 preferably), I'd like to know the best ram for now, for the 680i nvidia mobo. (chosen it because of the fsb being useable for chips up to 1333mhz
).

Le_Loup

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet spot? Any fact's? Doesn't the more ram you have and of course, a core 2 duo processor, mean that multi tasking will not only run easier, but have more breathing room for more? Just curious...

Can anyone else answer my question?

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Le_Loup View Post
Sweet spot? Any fact's? Doesn't the more ram you have and of course, a core 2 duo processor, mean that multi tasking will not only run easier, but have more breathing room for more? Just curious...

Can anyone else answer my question?
At this point in time, it's not worth double the cost for the slight, if any increase of preformance. Open up Windows Task Manager and look at how much ram is being used. Having more doesn't help when you are not using up the ram you already have.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well with my gaming / video work, and eventually I want to get into professional photoshop work, i'm looking at the ram cap'ing off easily 3gb+ but that's my thoughts at the moment. Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Currently 2 gigabytes of DDR2 800 is sufficient for everyone, even high end gaming, but you mentioned professonial photoshop work so Im thinking hmm..ya know, but for sure you wont use 4gb playing games and such...but no one can tell you what you need to know, you already know it, your just looking for a second opinion, if you have the dough to run over another 2gigs of ram by all means do it..but are you gonna be using 3-4 gigabytes more then 75% of the time...no.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i've been thinking that over to, because i'm starting off with 1gb, and probably will pair the same stick and get a 2nd gb as well 2-4 weeks away (re: pay cheque's, etc).

Most of this build will finalize probably june/july time frame. Just in time to truly benchmark it in the basement when heatwaves come in. And the 2007-2008 winter when a "cold snap" sets in, max the oc

If only I had a basement that was 3 floors down.... Cooling
almost no air cooling required.... (of course air circulation naturally).

Le_Loup

U.C.I.N.E.X. True you caught on the idea that I wanted another opinion but I also wanted advice as well from various oc.net members who know about the information @ hand.

·
Registered
708 Posts
4 GB helps only if you are doing image/video editing currently, but if you intend you keep your computer for a while you might consider opting for 4 GB. Currently 64 Bit versions handle 4 GB MUCH better, so if want to have 4 GB go for 64 bit versions of xp or vista.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man, I'm definately going 64bit win xp pro, hell yeah, better then "oem gateway edition win xp home", hehe.

Though a friend has a 915 mobo I believe (series) and has 4gb of ddr 533 ram, And bios = 4gb, while windows = 2.5...gb Does this happen alot?

Le_Loup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts