Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a GA-X58-UD3R board and when I put my RAM in, the computer turns on then shuts off a second later. Then if I use the new RAM with my RAM in my system, it stays on but doesnt do anything. I upgraded to the latest BIOS and that didn't do anything. Is the RAM messed up or does the board not accept that brand of memory?

Here is the link to the memory that isnt working: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148196

Here is the RAM that I have currently that is working: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145183

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
Did you reset your CMOS
To do this take out the battery out of the motherboard then wait 5 mins
Then put back the battery in and turn on the computer
Are trying to do use the the dual channel memory
with the single. I dont think that is going to work
I could be wrong.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried resetting the CMOS by shorting the reset CMOS pins. I tried the stick of RAM by itself and with the other sticks and it didnt work. With the one stick in, the computer turns on and off every few seconds, and with all of them in, it just turns on but doesn't post.

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy2721
View Post

I am using a GA-X58-UD3P...

I did not know gigabyte had a x58 "ud3p" model...

http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Moth...pe=socket+1366

Quote:

Is the RAM messed up or does the board not accept that brand of memory?

Find your actual board model and then download the ram compatibility list @ gigabyte and see if it's there... Even if the specific ram kit is not listed it's probably still compatible. You may have (unfortunately) received a dead stick.

Quote:

I tried resetting the CMOS by shorting the reset CMOS pins. I tried the stick of RAM by itself and with the other sticks and it didnt work. With the one stick in, the computer turns on and off every few seconds, and with all of them in, it just turns on but doesn't post.

Quote:

Are trying to do use the the dual channel memory
with the single. I dont think that is going to work
I could be wrong.

It should still work(matching different modules that sport different ICs can cause issues at times; however single channel paired with dual makes no difference), though personally, I always prefer using identical/matched sticks...

@OP Try a hard cmos reset: take the battery out for a couple hours or more then put it back in and try booting up with just the crucial stick. The stick's default operating voltage is 1.5v AFAIK that's also your board's default vdimm, in other words if it doesn't work at that point send back the ram.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Taking out the battery didn't work. When I put in the crucial stick by itself, the computer would still turn off and on over and over again. Could it be that the board isn't able to use this RAM or is the RAM just messed up?

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy2721
View Post

Taking out the battery didn't work. When I put in the crucial stick by itself, the computer would still turn off and on over and over again. Could it be that the board isn't able to use this RAM or is the RAM just messed up?

That's seems to be the case... However, do you know of anyone w/ a DDR3 capable platform that would be willing to allow you use of their rig as a means of further testing the crucial stick? Sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Iconoclast
31,568 Posts
Sometimes the UD3R needs to restart itself a few times to configure everything after clearing the BIOS or changing hardware.

Have you tried just letting it sit there a minute or two to see if anything happens?

You may also want to put the memory that is working correctly in, boot to windows, run a diagnostic program that shows all your memory timings and sub timings, then manually set these in your BIOS before you add the Crucial stick.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No I havent left it on for a few minutes so I will try that. If that doesnt work then I will try to run a diagnostic program that shows all my memory timings, but what program should I use to do that?

I don't have anyone to try the DDR3 on, as everyone around me uses pentium 4 Dells lol.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I just left the one stick of Crucial RAM in for a few minutes while it kept on turning on and off and that didn't work. I also tried one of each stick for a few minutes and that didn't work either.

I have my timings set on auto and everything else is on stock, so would I still need to manually set the timings?

·
Premium Member
2,973 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by speedy2721 View Post
Well I just left the one stick of Crucial RAM in for a few minutes while it kept on turning on and off and that didn't work. I also tried one of each stick for a few minutes and that didn't work either.

I have my timings set on auto and everything else is on stock, so would I still need to manually set the timings?
Some of the newegg reviews for various crucial DDR3 kits seem to indicate a compatibility issue(with Gigabyte x58s) while a couple reviews have stated otherwise

They are newegg reviews so you might want to hit up gigabytes "forums" and/or support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.