1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've have a following build:

- Z97 D3H (latest bios) with i7 4790k
- G skills Ripjaws - 2x 8GB - Rated at 1886

So far I've been using the XMP bios setting and the frequency has been automatically set to 1886.
Until recently though, when I've launched 3D Mark it showed frequency as 667 Mhz.
I didn't believe the reading and tried CPU-Z, the reading was the same - 667 Mhz.

After making a restart, CPU-Z once again shows it as 933 Mhz (which is the correct value). I didn't make any changes upon restart and XMP still shows as enabled.

I wonder if someone could explain this strange reading before restart. And or give some advise to prevent this from happening again. Any help is much appreciated...

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
I would recommend disabling XMP and manually setting up the memory in the BIOS. Pick the frequency (1866mhz) and then setup the timings and voltage.

• Rep+
Reactions: Thready

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
3D Mark might be reading SPD values off the DIMMS and not reporting actual memory clock speed. Your modules have XMP profiles that set 1866, but also have JEDEC SPD programmed values of 1333-9-9-9-27-1.5v more than likely. I wouldn't trust the value in 3D Mark if CPU-Z shows a different speed at the same time.

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts